Volvo Amazon Tyres
- The majority of Volvo Amazon's that left the factory would have fitted crossply tyres in the size 590 - 15 Tyres or 600 - 15 Tyres, whilst the estate cars mostly fitted 640 - 15 Tyres.
- The recommended 590 - 15 crossply for the amazon is the 590 H 15 Avon Turbospeed fitted with a Michelin 15E inner tube.
- The best 600 - 15 crossply is the 6.00 x 15 R5 Dunlop Racing, however as a racing tyre it is not suited to everyday road use.
- The ideal 640 - 15 crossply is the 640 H 15 Avon Super Safety.
- For these tyres we recommend the Michelin 15F Offset Valve inner tube.
- Crossply tyres however are less suited to modern high-speed roads, and on the earlier Amazons you may prefer to fit one of the radial tyres mentioned below.
- The last of the Volvo Amazon cars fitted a set of 165 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 and this would still be the best tyre to fit to any of these cars today.
- For an alternate option Michelin also produce a 165 SR 15 Michelin XZX which is also a great tyre to fit to an Amazon and the price is exceptionally good, but it does have a lower speed rating than the CINTURATO.
- For these tyres we recommend the Michelin 15E inner tube.
- Inner tubes are not essential for most radial tyres, but they can still be the better option when compared to going tubeless. For more information, see our inner tube guide.
Volvo Amazon Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Volvo Amazon Tyres
History of the Volvo Amazon
Built between 1956-1970, the Volvo Amazon was a mid-sized car that came as a 2-door coupe, 4-door sedan and 5-door station wagon (estate). It is notable as being the first car to feature front seat belts as standard equipment, also later becoming the first car to feature three-point seat belts. Initially called the Amason, German motorcycle company Kreidler had already registered the name whereupon it was agreed to be called Amason within Sweden before changing the spelling to Amazon, then finally changing to the three number naming system and becoming the 120 Series.