185 R15 Tyres
- Low profile alternative for 185 R15: 205/70 - 15.
- Inner tube for 185 R15: MICHELIN 15f OFFSET VALVE TUBE.
- Rim tape (for Wire Wheel) for 185 R15: Rim Tape 13" - 17".
- 185 R15 can also be described as: 185/80 R 15, 185 x 15, 185/80 - 15 or 185 R 15.
- 185 R15 is a radial alternative to 6.40 – 15 and 6.70 15 cross ply tyres.
- The 180HR15 Michelin XAS is a good alternative to car with 185 R15 tyres that has heavy steering.
- We would suggest that often the 185 VR 15 Pirelli Cinturato CA67 is the best radial tyre in the size 185-15.
- We would suggest fitting the 185 R15 Pirelli Cinturato to E-Type and MK2 Jaguars that fitted 6.40 -15 crossplys.
- David Brown Aston Martin fitted 185 R15 Pirelli Cinturato as a radial option to DB4, DB5 and early DB6.
- Ferrari fitted 185 R15 Cinturato to its 250 models in the 1960s.
Classic 185 R15 Tyres
Alternatives to 185 R15 Tyres
185 R15 Inner Tubes
185 R15 Classic Radial TyresIn the early 1960s there was a step change where all the manufacturers of the bigger engine sports cars of the day from the likes of Jaguar, Ferrari, Maserati and Aston Martin changed from 16” wheels with either crossply 6.00-16 or radial tyres such as 185 R16 Pirelli Cinturato moved onto fitting 15” wheels and for a period they fitted 6.40-15 or 6.70-15 crossply or the radial tyre of choice of the period was 185 R15. Again the Pirelli Cinturato was the tyre of choice, because these radial 185 R15 Pirelli Cinturato HS were the largest radial tyres with the highest speed capability, (until 1964 when Pirelli developed the 205 R15 Cinturato CN72 HS). The E-type Jaguar started off fitting 6.40-15 Dunlop RS5 Crossply tyres, where a radial 185 R15 would be the radial option and they moved onto fitting 185 R15 as standard in 1968 with the 185 R15 Dunlop SP Sport Aquajet in 1968. Aston Martin carried on with crossply tyres on 15” wheels with the late DB4, DB5 and early DB6, however if you requested them the 185 R15 Pirelli Cinturato was fitted as a radial option.
we would suggest that the 185 R15 Pirelli Cinturato CA67 is a great tyre and we would suggest fitting it to cars like an E-type Jaguar or a Ferrari 250 GTE 2+2.
It might not be the cheapest however the 185 R15 Michelin XVS-P is exceptionally good value, and what we would recommend for a later Citroen DS 23 injection.