Classic Simca Tyres
On the following pages, Longstone Classic Tyres give classic tyre fitment recommendations for Simca cars.
Vintage Simca Tyres
Longstone Tyres can provide tyres for across the whole Simca range, whether you prefer the small family car of the Simca Aronde or the larger family car the Simca 1300/1500.
The following list are our recommendations for Simcas:
- 165 HR 14 Michelin XAS for a Simca Aronde.
- 165 HR 13 Michelin XAS FF for a Simca 1300/1500/1301/1501.
If your Simca is not listed, don't panic! Please give us a call on:
01302 711 123
Email: [email protected]
SIMCA was established in 1935 when Henri Pigozzi purchased the defunct Donnet plant in Nanterre, France. Fiat Balillas and Arditas were the first vehicles built, however, they were badged as Simca-Fiat 6CV and 11CV. This was followed by the Simca Cinq or 5CV version of the Fiat Topolino in 1936, and the Huit or 8CV version of the Fiat 1100 in 1937. The 6CV and 11CV were phased out in 1937, leaving the 5CV and 8CV in production until the onset of World War II. Despite the fact that France was occupied throughout the war, Simca automobiles continued to be manufactured in limited quantities throughout the war. With the end of the war, manufacturing restarted in 1946 with the 5CV and 8CV, but a new car appeared in 1948 with the Simca Six, which had an overhead valve 570 cc engine and was more powerful than the corresponding Fiat.
The Simca Aronde, introduced in 1951, was the first real Simca automobile rather than a Fiat derivative, featuring a 1200 cc motor. With this car, Simca managed an annual output of 100,000 units. Following this achievement, Simca acquired the French truck makers Unic in 1951 and Saurer in 1956, the Ford SAF Poissy facility in 1954, and the Talbot brand in 1958. With the Ford acquisition came the Ford-designed V-8-powered Vedette line, which was produced under Simca badges and under other designations until 1962 in France and 1967 in Brazil. In 1957, an Aronde-powered variant named the Ariane was also produced, and because of its economy paired with a wide body, it was successful as a taxi.
In 1958, the American vehicle maker Chrysler Corporation purchased 15% of the Simca shares in order to join the European car market. They raised their position and obtained full ownership in 1963. In addition, in 1964, Chrysler purchased the British manufacturer Rootes, preparing for Chrysler Europe. After 1967, all Simca vehicles received the Chrysler Pentastar emblem as well as Simca stickers. Simca began producing all of its vehicles in the ex-Ford SAF facility in Poissy in 1961, after selling the factory in Nanterre to Citroen.
The Simca 1000 was debuted in 1961, followed by the Simca-Abarth in 1963. The 1000 Coupe, a gorgeous sports coupe with a Bertone-designed body by Giorgetto Giugiaro and 4-wheel disc brakes, was also built on the 1000 chassis. It made its debut in 1963 and was dubbed "the world's neatest small coupe" by Car Magazine. The more powerful 1200S Bertone Coupe debuted in 1967, and with a horsepower boost in 1970, it could achieve a dizzying speed of over 112 mph, making it the quickest standard production Simca ever manufactured. The 1100, a considerably more modern automobile with front-wheel-drive and independent suspension, debuted in 1967 and remained in production until 1979.
The Aronde, Simca 1000, and front-engined 1100 small automobile were the most successful pre-Chrysler Simca models. Simca developed the new 160/180 saloon, 1307 series (Chrysler Alpine in the UK) and subsequently the Horizon during the late 1970s Chrysler period, both of which were European Car of the Year when they were launched. Chrysler Europe went bankrupt in 1977, with the remaining assets transferred to Peugeot the following year. The Rootes models were swiftly phased out, but the Simca-based Alpine/1307 and Horizon continued to be offered under the reborn Talbot label during the first part of the 1980s. The 1980 Solara, a 1307 with a boot, was the final car to have the Simca label, but by 1981 it had been replaced by a Talbot.
Peugeot eventually became bored of the Talbot brand, and the final Simca design was introduced as the Peugeot 309 (rather than the Talbot Arizona as had been intended), signalling the end of this French marque. The Peugeot 309 was powered by Simca engines until October 1991, when they were replaced by PSA's own TU and XU engine series. The 309 was built in both the old Rootes facility in Ryton-on-Dunsmore, UK, and the Poissy plant in France. Simcas may still be found on the roads of various European nations, and they were also produced in Brazil, Spain, and Finland.