400/450 - 19 Tyres
Frazer Nash on 4.00/4.50 x 19 Longstone Tyres
- For the majority of road use the 4.00/4.50 x 19 Longstone tyre is the nicest option for a vintage car; with light, precise, progressive handling.
- Many of todays Vintage tyres are oversized, many of the 400-19 tyres are the same size a 450-19 was back in the 1920s.
- The Longstone 4.00/4.50-19 is the same size as a 4.50 x 19 Dunlop of the 1920s.
- The Longstone 4.00/4.50-19 is an ideal replacement for either a 400 - 19 or 450 - 19 vintage tyres.
- If you are looking for a racing tyre the 4.50x19 3-Stud Ensign Racing offers by far the best performance.
- The 4.50x19 Ensign B5 is similar the 4.00-19 and 450-19 Dunlop B5 that was fitted to MG in the very late 1930s and 1940s.
- Innertube for 400/450 - 19: Offset Valve Tube
- Innertube for 400/450 - 19: Michelin 19MFR Central Valve Tube
- Rim tape (for Wire Wheel) for 400/450 - 19: Rim Tape for Wire Wheel 18" - 21"
- 400/450-19 can also be described as: 400/450-19 or 400/450 x 19.
- 4.00/4.50-19 tyres can be fitted to cars that either fitted 4.00-19 or 4.50-19 tyres.
- The 1920s tyre descriptions 27 X 4 & 27 X 4.40.
- The period description 27 X 4 meant 27” overall diameter, with a 4” section height and width; therefore 19” wheel.
- The 27 X 4.40 again is approximately 27” diameter, with 4.4” section so 19” rim.
4.00/4.50-19 Tyres FAQ
The 400/450 -19 Longstone Tyres are perfect for the sporty little vintage MG. they offer the period tread pattern, they are also closest to the original dimension of a 27-4 tyre of the period that MG of the 1930’s fitted their vintage J1, J2 & J3 cars.
The Riley 9 in the 1920s fitted 27 X 4.40 tyres, then in the 1930s they called the same size tyres 4.50X19. The 4.50-19 & 27X4.40 Tyres of the 1920s and 1930s are actually closest in dimension to the 4.00/4.50 – 19 Longstone Tyres. Most other tyres are often over sized.
The 4.00/4.50-19 Longstone tyres are extremely good value with plenty of tread depth.