Goodyear Eagle Gatorback
Ferrari 288 GTO on Goodyear Gatorback Tyres
- The Goodyear Eagle soon got the nickname Goodyear Gatorback because of its distinctive tread pattern.
- The directional tread pattern of the Goodyear Eagle did look reminiscent of the back of an Alligator, hence the name Gatorback.
- The Goodyear Gatorback was fitted to the US models of Ferrari 288 GTO between 1984 and 1987; front 225/50 R16 and 255/50 R16 on the rear.
- The Ferrari Testarossa in 1986 swapped its Michelin TRX millimetric wheels and tyres for 16” tyres like the 288 GTO and in the States fitted the same size Goodyear Eagle Gatorback tyres.
- For both these classic Ferrari we would suggest fitting 225/50YR16 Pirelli P-Zero Directionale and 255/50 YR 16 Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico.
- Some US models of Ferrari 308 and Ferrari 328 fitted 16” wheels with a Goodyear Eagle Gatorback 205/55 R16 Tyres front and 225/50R16 rear.
- The European fitment was Pirelli Cinturato P7, and really the tyres of choice then and now are the 205/55YR16 PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 and 225/50 YR 16 PIRELLI CINTURATO P7.
- The Ford Mustang GT and Mustang Mach 1 from 1985 to 1989 also fitted Goodyear Eagle ZR Gatorback 245/45 ZR 16 tyres.
- Today we can offer a 245/45 R 16 Michelin SX MXX3 or a 245/45 VR 16 PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 as an ideal period performance alternative to the old Gatorback.
- When finding alternatives to classic tyres like the old Gatorback Goodyear Eagle matching the car with another classic tyre carcass like these classic Pirelli will make the car handle at its best.