For many years the tyre size 145R13 has not been supported by any of the important classic tyre manufacturers. This is a shame, because it is an extremely common classic car tyre size, however until recently many of the cars that fit a 145R13 tyre have not been such valuable cars it has been difficult to justify spending the money on proper tyres. Worth noting that as well as 145R13 being a popular size in its own right it is also the radial alternative to a 5.20-13 crossply tyre, which again is no longer manufactured by any manufacturer that you would encourage a the owner of an Austin Healey Frog Eye Sprite or Lotus Elan owner to fit.
The good news is that 2 of the worlds best tyre manufacturers have now stepped up and made some fantastic little tyres in the size 145R13.
145R13 Pirelli Cinturato CA67
In 1952 Pirelli developed the Cinturato, as a radial tyre designed to compliment the handling of sports cars of the 1950s. The Cinturato tyre became a go to sportscar tyre throughout the 1960s and well into the 1970s. The Cinturato was used as original equipment by, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Maserati, Rover, Aston Martin, MG and Lotus.
Pirelli have been celebrating their heritage by making many of these important classic car tyres again, involved in this was the re introduction of the 145R13 Cinturato CA67 in 2018. At the time this was not only the only H rated 145R13 tyre, but also the only 145R13 with a classic tread pattern built onto a classic car carcass that compliments the chassis of classic cars such as a Frog Eyed Sprite, Triumph Spirtfire, Lotus Elan MG Midget.
The handling characteristics of the 145R13 Pirelli Cinturato are its progressive behaviour in the bends make it a predictable tyre and great fun in a light weight rear wheel drive sports car, and is very much adds to the pleasure of driving a 1960 sports car.
145R13 tyre review
Here is a comment from a customer fitting a set of the 145R13 Pirelli Cinturato CA67 to a MG Midget.
I’ve owned my Midget for the best part of 30 years. I’ve just fitted a set of these 145R13 Pirelli Cinturato tyres and I can honestly say the car has never driven or handled so well. Wish I had fitted them years ago.
145R13 Michelin XAS
In 1965 with the development of the dual carriageway and motorway, the need to develop tyres that improved the directional stability of cars at high maintained cruising speeds became more prevalent. Michelin at the time were very involved with Citroen and their DS. However it was a little on the wandery side. This issue was mended when Michelin introduced the XAS. the first asymmetric radial tyre.
Towards the end Michelin have manufactured a 145R13 XAS again with an H speed rating, making it perfect for the little sports cars of this period and making them a more relaxing drive at cruising speeds on dual carriage was, and of course it comes with that assurance you get with Michelins fantastic build quality.
- Alfa Romeo Alfasud 1.2, Ti, SE, 5m, 1.3 Sprint, Super Ti, 1.5 Sprint, Super Ti (up to 1981).
- Austin A40, A40 Countryman, Allegro 1100, 1300, 1500 mk1 & mk2 Maestro 1.3 (base).
- Austin Healy Sprite (all models).
- Auto Union Junior F11, F12.
- Bond Equipe GT, GT4S.
- Citroen Visa Super E, Visa L, Visa 11E, 11RE & Convertible.
- Daf 32, 33.
- Fiat 850 Special, 128, 128 Estate, 128 Rally, Strada 65L, CL, 75CL, 85 (upto 83), X1/9 1.3.
- Ford Anglia 105E, Super, Cortina 1200, 1300, Escort 1.1 MK3 (upto 84).
- Lancia Delta 1300 (4speed).
- Lotus Elan.
- MG Midget Mk1, MK2, MK3.
- Morris Marina 1.3, 1.8.
- Peugeot 104 SL, 104 SR, 104 ZS(upto 1980), 205 1.1 GL, GR, 205 1.4 GR (upto 84).
- Renault R5, R5L, R5TL, R5GTL, R5TS, R5TX, Le Car, R6TL, R9c, R9 TC (1.1) R9 TL, R5GTL (1.3), R12L, R12TL, R12TR, R12TS, R14TL, R14GTL,R14TS (UNTIL 83), R18 (BASE).
- Simca 1000 Special, Rally, 1100, 1200.
- Talbot Samba GL, Sunbeam 1.0, LS, GL, 1.3LS,GL, 1.6 GL, S, GLS, Horizon 1.1 GL, LS, 1.3 GL, LS, GLS, 1.5 GL.
- Triumph Herald (all Models), Spitfire MK1, MK2, Mk3, MK4, Acclaim L.
- Vauxhall Nova 1.0L, 1.2L, Astra 1.2 (upto 84).
- Volkswagen Polo L, N, LS, GLS, Golf 1.1 L, GL, N.