Austin Healey Sprite
Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite
Frogeye Sprite Tyres
- The MK1 Austin Healey Sprite, lovingly known as the Frog Eye Sprite or Bugeye Sprite Originally fitted 520 - 13 crossply tyres.
- We recommend that currently the best tyre for a Frogeye Sprite is the classic radial tyre 145R13 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67.
- Many of these little Bugeye cars have been fitted with oversized wheels, in which case 175/70 VR 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36 will handle better than any modern tyre.
- The ideal innertube for 145R13 tyres is the Michelin 13CG.
- 175/70 VR 13 tyres would best fit a Michelin 13E innertube.
- The ideal tyre pressure for a Frog Eye Sprite is 25psi front and rear with radial tyres.
Austin Healey Sprite Tyres
- The Austin Healey Sprite MK1, MK2, MK3 & MK4 fitted 5.20X13 Crossply tyres.
- The best tyre for an Austin Healey Spridget would be a 145R13 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67.
- Again if wider tyres are fitted Pirelli’s 175/70VR13 CN36 will handle better than any other oversized tyre.
- Recommended tyre pressure for Austin Healey Sprite is 24psi front & 26psi rear.
- Currently there is not a 520X13 crossply tyre that we would suggest was suitable for the Sporty little Frog Eye Sprite or the later Spridget, for most people a radial tyre is more suited to our modern roads. so we would recommend fitting a 145R13 radial.
- The PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67 is the only genuine period radial tyre in the right size and the sporty little Austin Healey Sprite cars will benefit from fitting a tyre with a carcass designed to suit sports cars of this period.
- When upping the size of your tyre we strongly recommend the 175/70 VR 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36, as any other tyre in this size will have a greater adverse effect on the steering.
- Although this is an available size from budget tyre manufacturers the CN36 is different. It is a low profile tyre designed to complement earlier chassis designs that originally had fitted thinner tyres, like a Bug Eye Sprite. It is therefore far better than a modern tyre that was developed to be fitted to a very different kind of car.
Austin Healey Sprite Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Austin Healey Sprite Tyres
Austin Healey Sprite History
The Austin-Healey Sprite is a compact open sports automobile introduced to the press by the British Motor Corporation at Monte Carlo on May 20, 1958, just before the Monaco Grand Prix. It was envisioned to be a low-cost model that "a chap could keep in his bike shed," as well as the successor to the pre-war Austin Seven sporty models. The Sprite was created by the Donald Healey Motor Company, which received a royalty payment from BMC. It was initially priced at £669 and used a minimally tweaked version of the Austin A-Series engine as well as as many additional components from existing automobiles as possible to keep costs low.
Borrani Wire Wheels
Borrani wheels are available for your Austin Healey Sprite. As agents for the iconic Ruote Borrani Milano company we are able to supply all wheels from their extensive range.
If your Borrani wheels require rebuilding then please contact us at [email protected]
Wire wheels made by Ruote Borrani Milano are, without doubt, the best wire wheels available. Borrani wheels utilise aluminium rims, steel spokes and steel wheel centres.
Click the link for Austin Healey Sprite Borrani wheels.
Wheels made by Borrani are available in the following styles:
- Painted silver finish, as per the racing wheels of the period
- Polished and chrome finish, highly polished rim, chrome spokes & wheel centre
- Painted finish with polished outer edge