Triumph Spitfire Tyres
- The first Triumph Spitfire (MK1, MK11 & MK111) fitted 5.20-13 Crossply Tyres with 3.5” wheels
- For the MK1, MK2 & MK3 Spitfire we suggest 145 R 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67 as the best tyre for the road
- The MK1V (MK4) Spitfire in 1970 moved onto a 4.5” wheel because it was better suited to a radial tyres so many people chose to fit the 145 R 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67
- With the extra torque of the 1500 Triumph Spitfire it could carry the longer legs of a taller tyre, we suggest 155HR13 Michelin XAS
- Often with these little cars and the accessibility of cheap modern wide tyres people fit wider rims. We don’t recommend that but if you do have wider wheels the best tyre is 175/70 VR 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA36
- 1300 triumph Spitfire we suggest the correct tyre pressure is 24psi front and 16psi rear. For 1500 Spitfire we would suggest 26psi all round
Recommended Triumph Spitfire Tyres
Other Options for Triumph Spitfire
Independent Tyre Test - The Results
In the world of modern tyres it is common place to come across a tyre test. However in the world of classic tyres the investment never seems to be there to do a proper modern tyre test. However a German magazine in July 2016 conducted this modern tyre test using classic tyres. This classic tyre test has been translated from German to English. What is remarkable in this tyre test is quite how well the PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 classic tyre performed in the table at the end. The scores in this table are not scored in relationship to the other tyres in the test, so when a score of 1 is recorded, then that is a perfect score for a classic tyre or a modern tyre. It is wonderful to see that these classic PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 tyres can give such exemplary results.
History of the Triumph Spitfire
Built between 1962-1980, the Triumph Spitfire was a small two-seater sports car based on designs by Giovanni Michelotti and made to compete with the Austin-Healey Sprite. There were five different models of the Spitfire over its lifetime, the Triumph Spitfire 4/Mark I (1962-1964 - 45,753 Built), Spitfire 4/Mark II (1964-1967 - 37,409 Built), Spitfire Mark III (1967-1970 - 65,320 Built), Spitfire Mark IV (1970-1974 - 70,021 Built) and Spitfire 1500 (1974-1980 - 95,829 Built).