Ford Escort Tyres
1972 Ford Escort Mark I XL 4-Door Sedan
Ford Escort 1968–2002
Longstone Tyres recommends fitting the following tyres to your Ford Escort:
- 155 R 12 Nankang for a Ford MK1 Escort 110 & 1300 base models. (we would like to have a better tyre in the size 155R12 really).
- The tube for this tyre is the Michelin 12D innertube.
- We recommend the 155R13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 or 155 HR 13 Michelin XAS FF for a Ford Escort MK II. With the option of 175/70VR13 Pirelli Cinturato CN36 on 4.5" or 5" wheels. (Michelin 13D)
- Some of the MK1 Ford Escort models fitted 165 R13 Michelin ZX, we currently suggest 165 VR 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36.
- Some MK2 Escorts still had 12” wheels, being best fit by a 155 R 12 Nankang.
- In the spring of 1968, with an aim to improve road safety, Ford started to offer PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ radial tyres.
- 175/70 VR 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™; CN36 for a Ford Escort MK I Mexico, GT, RS1600, RS1800 & RS2000.
Ford Escort RS2000 With PIRELLI CN36 Tyres
- The right tube for 165 R13 and 175/70 R13 tyres is the Michelin 13E.
- Some of the base model MK3 Escorts want a 145HR13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 (Michelin 13CG) or 155 HR 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 or 155 HR 13 Michelin XAS FF (Michelin 13D).
- Our period Innertube Guides inform which models were released with tube-type wheels and which were released tubeless. See below to find your model and your wheel's tube status.
- For the majority of MK3 Ford Escorts, including XR3 & XR3i 185/60 VR 14 Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2.
- Tyres with a profile below 70% (e.g. 185/60 VR 14 Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2) do not fit innertubes.
- The Escort RS Turbo from 1989, RS2000 16V from 1991 and RS2000 4X4 would suit the 195/50 VR 15 Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2.
- The Michelin Pilot Sport PE2 is a perfect match for many of the MK3 Escorts as it provides sporty handling and brilliant grip, allowing for high performance with high safety.
- Pirelli have re-made the original 225/45 R 16 Pirelli P700-Z tyres that were designed as original equipment for the Ford Escort RS Cosworth
- Follow this link and it will show you more detail about Ford Escort tyre pressure.
Ford Escort MKII
1981 Ford Escort RS
Ford Escort Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Ford Escort Tyres
Independent Tyre Test - The Results
In the world of modern tyres it is commonplace to come across a tyre test. However in the world of classic tyres, the investment never seems to be there to do a proper modern tyre test. However, a German magazine in July 2016 conducted this modern tyre test using classic tyres. This classic tyre test has been translated from German to English. What is remarkable in this tyre test is quite how well the PIRELLI CINTURATO ™; CN36 classic tyre performed in the table at the end. The scores in this table are not scored in relation to the other tyres in the test, so when a score of 1 is recorded, then that is a perfect score for a classic tyre or a modern tyre. It is wonderful to see that these classic PIRELLI CINTURATO ™; CN36 tyres can give such exemplary results.
History of the Ford Escort
Built as a replacement to the Anglia in 1967 across factories in Germany and Britain, the Mark One Escort would go on to be one of Ford's most popular cars outside the USA. There would later be versions available for rallying where it made a name for itself, in particular winning the 1970 London to Mexico World Cup Rally being driven by Hannu Mikkola. This would lead to the creation for the Ford Mexico in honour of this achievement; a special edition 1.6 L road version of the rally car. The Mark Two Escort would take over in 1975, where it would also enjoy a successful rally career as well as popularity as a road car with L, GL, Sport, RS Mexico, RS2000 and Ghia versions all being produced.
Ford Escort Tyre Pressures
Dunlop Ford Escort Tyre Pressure 1968 - 1978
Ford Escort Tyre Pressure Dunlop 1979 - 1983
Michelin Ford Escort Tyres Pressure 1969 - 1984
Michelin Ford Escort Tyre Pressure 1986 - 1996 - Page 1
Michelin Ford Escort Tyre Pressure 1986 - 1996 - Page 2
Michelin MK3 Escort Tyre Pressures
Ford Escort FAQ
A: The mk1 Escort, also known as the Dog Bone Escort because of the shape of its radiator grille fitted 12” wheels, with 155 R12 tyres. PIRELLI CINTURATO radial tyres were offered for these cars. Some of these very early cars may also have fitted 5.50-12 crossply tyres. The more sporting Dog Bone Escorts came fitted with 175/70R13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36.
A: Early on the Ford Escort started offering PIRELLI CINTURATO radial tyres, and the Escort Mexico fitted 175/70VR13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36.
A: Most of the MK3 For Escort fitted 185/60R14. However top of the range cars sporting models like the RS2000 16V and the RS2000 4X4 fitted 15” wheels with 195/50R15 Pilot Exalto tyres.
Please note - A black triangle next to the innertube size indicates that the wheel; if made by the manufacturer, is a tubeless wheel, suitable to be run without innertubes. If no black triangle is present, that means the wheels are tube-type and require innertubes to function.