Toyota Corona Tyres
- The Toyopet Corona from 1958 to 1960 fitted 5.60 - 14. Currently no classic tyre manufacturer makes a tyre in this size, but 165-14 is a suitable radial alternative with a brilliant selection of tyres.
- The Corona from 1960-1964 (known in export models as the "Tiara") fitted 5.90 - 13. The Corona RT from 1964-1973 fitted 6.00-13. No manufacturer currently makes a tyre in this size however you can fit 165-13 as a radial alternative to both 5.90 - 13 and 6.00 - 13. 165 - 13 is a suitable radial alternative that would make a brilliant, better performing fit for your Tiara or Corona RT. We recommend fitting the size 165 - 13 is the 165 HR 13 Michelin XAS FF.
- The low profile alternative to 165-13 is 185/70 - 13. The tyre we recommend in this size is 185/70 VR 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO™ CN36.
Post-1973 Corona trim changes
- After 1973 different Corona trims were fitting different tyres, the 1900 and MK2 2000 Coronas on 13" wheels were still fitting 165-13 and those on 14" wheels were fitting 165-14. The exceptions to the aforementioned fitments are the MK1 2000 and Mk1 2000 Estate which, from 1975 onwards, and the Corona Liftback, which all fitted 175 - 14. For this size we recommend the 175 HR 14 Michelin XAS
- The 1500 Coronas fitted 155-13 and the 1600s and its coupe version fitted 155-14.
- Our recommended tyre for the size 155 - 13 is the 155 HR 13 Michelin XAS FF. For the size 155 - 14 we recommend the 155 TR 14 Michelin X.
- Alternatively instead of 155-13 you could fit a 175/70 R 13 tyre as a low profile alternative. The recommended tyre in this size is the 175/70 VR 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36.
1983-1992 Toyota Corona and Toyota Carina II tyres
In 1983 the European export models of Corona were replaced by the Carina II, which was a rebadged 1983 model Corona with a facelift, consisting of alterations to the headlights, grille, and trim. For fitments on the Carina II please see our Carina page.
Toyota Corona Inner Tubes
For the sizes 155-13 and 165-13, we recommend the Michelin 13D Offset Valve Inner Tube.
For the Sizes 155-14 and 165-14 we recommend the Michelin 14D Offset Valve Inner Tube.
For the size 175-14, we recommend the Michelin 14E Offset Valve Inner Tube.
Toyota Corona Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Toyota Corona Tyres
Toyota Corona Inner Tubes
- For the sizes 155-13 and 165-13, we recommend the Michelin 13D Offset Valve Inner Tube.
- For the sizes 175/70 - 13 and 185/70 - 13 we recommend the Michelin 13E Offset Valve Inner Tube or the Michelin 13F Offset Valve Inner Tube.
- For the Sizes 155-14 and 165-14 we recommend the Michelin 14D Offset Valve Inner Tube.
- For the size 175-14, we recommend the Michelin 14E Offset Valve Inner Tube.
History of the Toyota Corona
The Toyota Corona was introduced in May 1957 as a smaller version of the Crown and Master which had been scaled up across the years of production. This version of the crown was used as a Taxi in Japan for years, along with subsequent generations. The 50s and 60s taxis in Japan bear cultural similarities with an Austin FX4 as the classic London Taxi.
In 1960 the Toyota Corona released its second generation, known as the Tiara in export models. The Toyota Crown was Toyotas first export car, however, it proved to be unsuccessful in the U.S market and was pulled from exportation. The Tiara was their next attempt, along with the Land Cruiser and the larger Crown once again. The Tiara ended up outselling the Crown and was renamed the Corona in future models. The Corona would carry on as the smaller option to the Crown for most of its life, until Carina's discontinuation in 1982, which is when it was renamed to Carina II and then later in 1992, the Carina E. Production in Europe for the Crown ended in 1997 and ended in Japan in 2001.