Jaguar XJ12 tyres
- Jaguars XJ12 was one of the first production saloon cars to fit modern low profile Tyres.
- The XJ12, XJ12L and the coupe version the XJC12 fitted ER/70 VR 15 Dunlop SP Sport Aquajet tyres.
- Currently this tyre is not manufactured by Dunlop themselves and only attains a V speed rating.
- We would suggest that currently the best tyres in this size would be either the 205/70 WR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO P5 or 205/70 VR 15 Michelin XWX . Both these tyres are W rated.
- In 1979, at the request of Jaguar, Pirelli produced the P5 which was homologated for the Jaguar models XJ6, XJ12 and XJS.
- In 1981/’82, with the introduction of the XJ12 HE they increased the wheel size by half an inch to 6.5” and fitted 215/70VR15 tyres. We suggest 215/70 WR 15 Michelin XWX or 215/70 WR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO P5 .
- All tyres mentioned above are best fit with Michelin 15F Offset Valve inner tube, except the 215/70 WR 15 Michelin XWX which would be better fit with a Michelin 15/17H inner tube.
- We cautiously recommend 36psi front and rear. Follow this link for more information about XJ12 tyre pressures.
- This is a brief run down of Jaguar actually testing the P5 on a XJ12 in 1978.
Jaguar XJ V12 Tyres
For all models of the XJ12 Jaguar saloon we recommend either the Michelin XWX or the Pirelli P5. The Michelin XWX is a really durable period tyre that can withstand heat, and will handle really well at high speeds, performing excellently on motorways and dual carriage ways. It is worth noting that XWX was what Ferrari fitted to their Daytona & 330 GT and some British Police forces fitted the XWX to their Jaguar Jam sandwich XJ saloons.
The P5 by Pirelli is also an extremely high performance tyre with a W speed rating and will perform excellently in the wet, and provide excellent comfort and grip. Worth noting that the Pirelli Cinturato P5 is the tyre that Jaguar requested Pirelli to make for their XJ12 back in the 1970s. Pirelli are producing these tyres again and Jaguar have tested them and awarded them the J homologation, making them the tyre of choice for their XJ12 cars
Jaguar XJ12 HE Tyres
When Jaguar developed the HE version of the XJ12, part of the high efficiency was the taller tyres. 215/70WR15 Pirelli P5 was the Jaguar homologated tyre for their XJ12 HE.
- Set of 2 215/70 VR 15 & 2 225/70 VR 15 Michelin XWX
Starting at $2,268.00 $1,890.00
Jaguar XJ12 Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Jaguar XJ12
For the XJ12 Jaguar saloon the Michelin XWX is a really durable high performance period tyre that can withstand heat, and will handle really well at high speeds and perform excellently on motorways and dual carriage ways. It is worth noting that XWX was what Ferrari fitted to their Daytona & 330 GT and some British Police forces fitted the XWX to their Jaguar Jam sandwich XJ saloons.
The CN12 by Pirelli is also an extremely high performance tyre with a W speed rating and will perform excellently in the wet, and provide excellent comfort and grip. Worth noting that the Pirelli Cinturato CN12 was fitted to Lamborghini cars such as their Espada & Muira.
Jaguar asked Pirelli in 1977 to make a bespoke tyres for their performance Luxury saloons. And in 1979 the Pirelli P5 was homologated on the Jaguar XJ12, XJ6 & XJS. Pirelli have started making a small range of P5 tyres again. Again at the request of Jaguar themselves. This range includes the 205/70WR15 P5, 215/70WR15 P5, and the 225/65R15 P5 for the later XJ40 models.
In 1982 Jaguar developed the XJ12 HE (or High efficiency) improved model of the XJ12, one off the improvements was to fit 215/70VR15 tyres instead of the 205/70VR15. There by fitting a taller tyre to improve the gearing and clearance. Currently Longstone would suggest the best tyre for these fantastic XJ12 saloons and of course the XJC V12 would be the 215/70VR15 PIRELLI P5.
Jaguar XJ12 Tyre Pressures
What are the best tyres for a Jaguar XJ12 HE?
Jaguar asked Pirelli to make the 215/70WR15 P5 for the XJ12 HE. We would suggest that would be the best tyre.
What are the cheapest tyres for a Jaguar XJ12?
We would suggest that though they aren’t the cheapest tyre available for the Jaguar XJ12 and Jaguar XJ V12 HE we would sugges that the Pirelli P5 is well worth the money.