Morgan 4-4 Tyres
Morgan 4/4 1936–2019
- For a Pre-1959 Morgan 4/4, the flat Rad up to 1950 and the 4/4 series 2 of 1955 to 1960, a set of 5.00/5.25 x 16 Avon Tourist tyres are the best option.
- These early Morgan 4/4 had 16” wheels and the ideal innertube for this is the Michelin 16E innertube.
- The 155 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67 was the original equipment for Post-1959 Morgan 4-4, an excellent tyre that we would be happy to recommend.
- All classic models fitted tube-type wheels that require innertubes.
- For these tyres the Michelin 15E is the ideal innertube.
- In 1972 the Morgan 4/4 1600 had 4.5” or 6” rims with 165 - 15 Tyres. The 165 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 will suit the handling of the Morgan's 4/4 1600 chassis best.
- From 1988 the Morgan 4/4 1.6 offered 195/60R15 tyres as a budget option on tubeless 6” wheels. It was a cheap and fairly accessible current tyre size at the time.
- Michelin make the 195/60 VR 15 Pilot Primacy, which is the best tyre in that size. However the Morgan 4/4 will be much nicer to drive with a classic 165R15 because of its historic chassis set up.
- If you really do feel the need to fit a tyre wider than 165, then the 185/70VR15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36 N has a carcass that is suited to the chassis set up of a Morgan 4/4.
- In an attempt to save money these tyres are fitted to wire wheels that are called tubeless, however, we come across too many failures in these wheels to trust them. 195/60R15 tyres should not be used with an innertube, they are too low profile, for more information see our Classic Tyre Innertubes page.
- A later Morgan 4/4 can be greatly improved by fitting 165R15 Classic tyres, either Michelin XAS or PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67.
Morgan 4-4 Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Morgan 4-4 Tyres
History of the Morgan 4/4
Built from 1936 to the present day, the Morgan 4/4 (four wheels, four cylinders) was the first Morgan car to have 4 wheels. Aside from WWII and a brief break from 1951-1955 the car has been in continuous production from 1936, maintaining a similar appearance but underneath keeping up with the technology of the time. The Morgan 4/4 has been released in many different versions over the years, with the latest production ending in 2018 when it failed to pass US and European emissions tests, and has sported a wide range of different engines and body styles.
Morgan 4-4 1600 Borrani Wire Wheels
Borrani wheels are available for your Morgan 4-4 1600. As agents for the iconic Ruote Borrani Milano company we are able to supply all wheels from their extensive range.
Wire wheels made by Ruote Borrani Milano are, without doubt, the best wire wheels available. Borrani wheels utilise aluminium rims, steel spokes and steel wheel centres.
If your Borrani wheels require rebuilding then please contact us at [email protected]
Click the link for Morgan 4-4 1600 Borrani wheels.