Renault 18 Tyres
1981 Renault 18 Turbo
Renault 18 1978–1989
- The standard tyre size for the Renault 18 was 155 R13. Longstone's recommendation in this size is the 155 HR 13 Michelin XAS FF.
- However it was not uncommon to fit 165 R13 or 175/70 R13 tyres.
- In this case we recommend the 165 HR 13 Michelin XAS FF or the 175/70 VR 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 respectively.
- 155 R13 and 165 R13 tyres would best fit Michelin 13D innertubes.
- 175/70 R13 tyres would be best fitted with a set of a Michelin 13E innertubes.
- The Renault 18 fitted tubeless wheels from the beginning of its production, providing your wheel rims are in good condition, innertubes are not compulsory for the wheels to function. For more information, see our innertube guide.
Renault 18 Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Renault 18 Tyres
Independent Tyre Test - The Results
In the world of modern tyres it is commonplace to come across a tyre test. Sadly in the world of classic tyres, the investment never seems to be there to do a proper modern tyre test. However, a German magazine in July 2016 conducted this modern tyre test on classic Porsche tyres. This classic Porsche tyre test has been translated from German to English. What is remarkable in this tyre test is quite how well the PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 classic Porsche tyres performed in the table at the end. The scores in this table are not scored in relation to the other tyres in the test, so when a score of 1 is recorded, then that is a perfect score for a classic tyre or a modern tyre. It is wonderful to see that these classic Porsche tyres can give such exemplary results.
History of the Renault 18
Built between 1978-1983, the Renault 18 was intended as a replacement for the Renault 12 (although the 12 remained in production until 1980). There would be many variations over its lifetime, with Station Wagon, Estate (Renault 18 'Break') and Turbo versions all being produced. It would eventually be replaced by the Renault 21.