Jaguar XKE Tyres
Jaguar XKE 1961–1974
“I run these on my ‘64 FHC Jaguar XK-E. They are fantastic and the steering stays light.”
Series 1 XKE Tires
- A Jaguar XKE most likely left the factory on 640 - 15 tires. If you want a period crossply tire we would suggest fitting the 640 H 15 Avon Super Safety.
- We will usually suggest a radial tire as they are much more appropriate for modern roads, and will allow for better performance on cars like the XKE.
- Longstone's recommendation for the XKE is the 185 VR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67, an excellent tire with a period tread that offers fantastic performance.
- Standard wheels were either wire wheels or tube-type steel wheels, innertubes are needed.
- For these tires the Michelin 15F innertube is the correct size.
- It is essential to fit innertubes in wire wheels. Even if the tire is described as tubeless.
Jaguar XK-E Series 2 Tires
- In 1968 the XK-E series 2 was released fitted with 185VR15 Dunlop SP Sport Aquajet tires which were released the same year.
- Although the Aquajet is still available, we would suggest a great upgrade now would be to fit the 185VR15 Cinturato CA67.
- Back in the day, a great upgrade for the XK-E if you could afford it was Cinturato CA67 with Borrani wheels.
- Another great option for the none power steering S1 & S2 Jaguar XKE is the 185 R 15 Michelin XVS.
- Again, though these are tubeless tires, when being fitted on a wire wheel they should use a 15F innertube, standard metal wheels are also tube-type.
Series 3 XK-E 2+2 V12 TIres
- With its V12 engine and power steering the series 3 XK-E V-12 had wider wheel rims and fitted the Dunlop ER/70VR15 Dunlop SP Sport Aquajet.
- The tyre description ER/70VR15 is the same as a 205/70-15.
- We recommend the 205/70VR15 Pirelli P5. This is a tire developed by Jaguar and Pirelli together to complement their power steering cars.
- It is worth noting that the V12 XK-E with its power steering is a very different car to the series 1 and 2 XK-E which do not handle as well on such wide tires such as 205/70VR15.
- The Michelin 15F is still the ideal innertube for these tyres.
- Some Series 3 V12 XKE cars were released on pressed steel wheels and do not require innertubes.
Modern XK-E Tires
It is worth noting that there are some amazing XK-E heavily modified cars out there. Some really are a modern car inside an XK-E body with very wide tires. This works beautifully with modern geometry, suspension and steering, but they handle terribly on standard XK-E suspension and steering. You need to dramatically change the set-up of an XK-E to make it complement and take any benefit from modern tires wider than 205mm. you will also dramatically spoil the ride if you start fitting wheels taller than 15” on a standard suspension.
Wire wheels were designed to work in conjunction with an innertube. An innertube can be fitted in any 185R15 or 205/70R15 tire. Full profile tires and 70% profile tires can fit innertubes. But an innertube should not be fitted in a lower profile tire like a 195/65R15 or a 225/55R16. We are aware that today there are wire wheels built that are called tubeless wire wheels. However, at Longstone Classic Tires we have come across too many failures to trust these tubeless wire wheels. An XK-E will handle better on a proper period classic tire like a Pirelli Cinturato Or Michelin XVS or XWX, so there is no need to spoil the handling with an oversized tire.
Jaguar XKE Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Jaguar XKE Tyres