225/50 / 16
- The tyre size 225/50-15 could also be described as 225/50R16, 225/50VR16, 225/50WR16 or 225/50ZR16.
- A 225/50-16 radial tyre is 225mm wide with a side wall height that is 50% of 225mm for fitting to 16” diameter wheels.
- 225/50R16 tyres among other things are a Classic Porsche tyre that can be matched up with other Pirelli P7 tyres.
- From the mid 1980s the Porsche 911 and Carrera 225/50VR16 Pirelli P7 was fitted to the rear with 205/55VR16 P7 on the front.
- In the early 1980s the Porsche 928 fitted 225/50-16 on the front with 245/45VR16 Pirelli P7 on the rear.
- The Ferrari TestaRossa and 288 GTO had the option of 225/50YR16 Pirelli P-Zero Directionale on the front and 255/50-16 P-Zero Assimetrico tyres on the rear.
- A 225/50-16 tyre should not be fitted with an inner tube. Inner tubes should not be fitted in low profile tyres.
Classic 225/50-16 Tyres
If you have a Classic Porsche, Ferrari 308, 328 or Mondial then probably the Pirelli P7, because the 225/50YR16 Pirelli P7 can be matched up with the 205/55 YR16 P7 or 245/45 YR 16 P7. However if you have a Ferrari TestaRossa or 288 GTO then the 225/50R16 Michelin Pilote Sport can be matched up with the 255/50 R16 Pilot Sport on the rear. The Pirelli P-Zero system is the period option for the TestRossa.
They might not be the cheapest 225/50 -16 tyres However the Pirelli P7 does give an excellent range of other Pirelli P7 to match up with on your Early 911 SC.