Triumph TR4 Tyres
Crossply TR4 Tyres
- Original equipment tyres for a TR4 and TR4 A were 590 - 15 crossply tyres. The best crossply for the TR4 is the 590 H 15 Avon Turbospeed.
- However for modern roads fitting your TR4 and TR4A with radial tyres is more suitable, and today the majority of people do tend to fit radial tyres to their TR4.
Radial TR4 Tyres
- Longstone Tyres recommend fitting the 165-15 Michelin XAS as the best tire for a TR4 and TR4 A. In 1968 tyre manufacturers developed wider more modern low profile tires, Triumph continued to fit 165-15 Michelin XAS to a TR6 because these sports cars handle better on thin progressive tyres.
- Another extremely good option for these cars would be the 165 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 as these are genuine period tyres developed in the 50's, an exceptional sports car tyre perfectly suited to cars like the TR4 and TR4A, and of course they look fantastic.
- Often with the TR4, TR4A and other cars of this period people want to fit wider tyres. Longstone don't encourage this unless you do other upgrades to counteract the derogatory effect that the wider tyres will have on the handling of your TR4 or TR4A.
- However if you want a wider tyre, then the best option would be the 185/70 WR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36 shown in this picture fitted to a TR6.
- The CN36 is a period tyre with a carcase designed for non-power-steering cars like Triumph TR4, they are designed to handle in a progressive manner, which will suit your car better than a modern tyre that is developed to complement a totally different car design.
History of the Triumph TR4
The Triumph TR4 was a two-seater sports automobile with renowned Michelotti styling that was produced in 40,253 units between 1961 and 1965. The TR4 and TR4A were well-known cars that had a lot of victories racing on American territory (three TR4As finishing first, second, and third in the 1966 Sebring 12 hour race) as well as rallying in Europe. The TR4 and TR4A both featured an enlarged bore 2138cc engine, with the primary difference being that the TR4A was constructed on a redesigned chassis and had a more complicated rear suspension with the goal of giving a more pleasant ride.
Borrani Wire Wheels
Borrani wheels are available for your Triumph TR4. As agents for the iconic Ruote Borrani Milano company we are able to supply all wheels from their extensive range.
Wire wheels made by Ruote Borrani Milano are, without doubt, the best wire wheels available. Borrani wheels utilise aluminium rims, steel spokes and steel wheel centres.
If your Borrani wheels require rebuilding then please contact us at [email protected]
Click the link for Triumph TR4 Borrani wheels.
Wheels made by Borrani are available in the following styles:
- Painted silver finish, as per the racing wheels of the period
- Polished and chrome finish, highly polished rim, chrome spokes & wheel centre
- Painted finish with polished outer edge