Riley 4 Tyres
- In period Riley fitted a 590 - 14 crossply tyres, in this size is sadly no longer produced.
- The radial equivalent size is 165 R14, a great tyre in this size is the 165 HR 14 Michelin XAS.
- Another fantastic option in this size is the 165 HR 14 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67.
- For these tyres Longstone recommends the Michelin 14D inner tube.
- We have on special offer sets of 4 or 5 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ tyres which include new Michelin Tubes. The PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ is a period tyre that was around between 1952 and the early 1980 and was produced with the aim to improve the handling of cars like the Riley 4.
Riley 4 Recommended Tyres
History of the Riley 4
Built between 1959-1969, the Riley 4 shared plenty of components with MGs of the period and was the last of the five B series BMC Pininfarina cars to be released. It would later change from the 4/68 and become the 4/72 in 1961, gaining a larger engine and improved suspension. In 1959, the British magazine The Motor tested a Riley 4/68, which had a maximum speed of 88.2 mph and reached 60 mph in 18.8 seconds. Fuel usage was calculated to be 27.3 miles per imperial gallon. The test vehicle cost £1028 incl. taxes. The Motor magazine also tested an automatic 4/72 in 1962, and it achieved a top speed of 81.3 mph, a 0-60 mph acceleration time of 20.6 seconds, and fuel consumption of 26.5 mpg. The test vehicle cost £1186 incl. taxes. The manual vehicle cost £1087.