Jensen 541 S Tyres
- Jensen originally fitted 640 H 15 Avon Super Safety to the 541S.
- A radial equivalent to a crossply 6.40-15 is 185VR15.
- We would recommend fitting a 185 VR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 as the best road tyre for the 541S Jensen.
- Because the 541 S has wire wheels, it needs inner tubes, and the 15F Michelin inner tube offers the best fit.
- Cross ply tyre pressures for a 541 S would have been 26psi front and 28psi in the rear.
- On today's high-speed roads, fitted with radial tyres we would suggest 30psi front and rear as good tyre pressures for a Jensen 541S.
- Some people might put 205/70R15 tyres on the 541S, but the extra wide tyres won’t ride or handle as progressively, it is not something we recommend.
- See below for links to Borrani wire wheels for your Jensen 541S.
Jensen 541S Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Jensen 541S Tyres
History of the Jensen 541S
Built from 1960-1963, the Jensen 541S would end up being 4" wider than the 541R it replaced. It was fitted with a radiator grill over the flap of previous models in anticipation of the extra heat that would be generated by the Chrysler Hemi V8, but due to supply issues, this engine was never fitted.
Other notable features were the Rolls-Royce hydramatic gearbox, Salisbury limited-slip differential, Dunlop Disc brakes on all four wheels and it being the first car to fit seat belts as standard equipment. Despite this safety feature Longstone still wouldn't recommend crashing one, especially as only 127 were built before they were replaced by the Jensen C-V8.
A: Originally it was a 640-15 Avon. However, the improved directional stability of a radial tyre makes these cars better suited to modern roads. A 185 VR 15 Pirelli was the best tyre in period as it is today.
A: Yes. All cars with wire wheels should fit inner tubes.
Borrani Wire Wheels
Borrani wheels are available for your Jensen 541S. As agents for the iconic Ruote Borrani Milano company we are able to supply all wheels from their extensive range.
If your Borrani wheels require rebuilding then please contact us at [email protected]
Wire wheels made by Ruote Borrani Milano are, without doubt, the best wire wheels available. Borrani wheels utilise aluminium rims, steel spokes and steel wheel centres.
Click the link for Jensen 541S Borrani wheels.
Wheels made by Borrani are available in the following styles:
- Painted silver finish, as per the racing wheels of the period
- Polished and chrome finish, highly polished rim, chrome spokes & wheel centre
- Painted finish with polished outer edge