Fiat 500 Tyres
Classic Fiat 500
- The first Fiat 500 Nuova fitted crossply tyres.
- From 1964 the fabulous classic Fiat 500 Cinquecento fitted 125 R12 radial tyres as Original Equipment.
- The original tyre for the Fiat 500 is 125SR12 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN54 .
- There is also the 125 R 12 Michelin X which is another excellent period Fiat Cinquecento tyre.
- Fiat 500 Cinquecento tyre pressures – Michelin said 18psi front & 23psi rear. Pirelli Said 16psi front and 23psi rear.
- Because the little Fiat 500 is from the 1950s we recommend fitting Michelin 12C inner tubes.
- Please scroll down to the bottom of the page to request your free vintage tyres poster.
Fiat 500 Wheels
- Longstone Tyres recommends the 125SR12 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN54 for the Fiat 500. These are the tyres the little Cinquecento left the factory with and we would suggest they still are the perfect tyre.
- We also now offer a special deal on a Fiat 500 wheel and tyre package deal. That is an original tyre, fitted to a new standard Fiat 500 wheel with a Michelin inner tube.
- All the best quality original equipment will be assembled and balanced in house by Longstone Tyres. The original Fiat 500 wheels were built before the safety rib was developed, so we would suggest that you need an inner tube inside a standard wheel.
- Longstone classic Tyres can also supply a set of Borrani Wire Wheels that make the classic Fiat Cinquecento look extra beautiful. Borrani Wheels RW 4044.
- Set of 5 Classic Fiat 500 wheels and whitewall tyres
Starting at $1,866.48 $1,555.40
Fiat 500 Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Fiat 500 Tyres
Fiat 500 Wheels and Tyres
1957 to 1975 the whole production of Fiat 500 cars fitted the same size 3.5” wide 12” wheels. Initially fitting crossply tyres, but moving to the radial 125R12 Pirelli Cinturato in 1964. The radial tyre can be fitted onto the earlier pre 1963 wheels without a problem.
In the period of t he Fiat 500, the safety rib that modern wheels have was not in the wheels design we would strongly recommend fitting a Michelin 12C inner tube even though the current correct original Pirelli tyres are tubeless tyres, we suggest that it is the wheel of the Fiat 500 that determines that an inner tube should be fitted.
The Fiat 500N had a pressed steel wheel with a welded cap in the centre.
The 500D pressed steel wheels had a raised centre dome in the middle to fit an aluminium hub cap.
The 500F and 500L had no centre to the wheel with a bar across to locate the hub cap. With the early 500 F having an aluminium hub and the later 500F’s and Fiat 500L wheels had a stainless steel hub cap.
There was also the Fiat 500R that was never imported to the UK with steel galvanise wheels with a dome in the centre with a Fiat logo on it.
There are a variety of alternative wheels available for the various models of the Fiat 500 including the fantastic wire wheels from Borrani RW4044.
Classic Fiat 500 History
The Fiat 500 is a car produced by the Fiat company of Italy between 1957 and 1975, with limited production of the Fiat 500 K estate continuing until 1977. The car was designed by Dante Giacosa. What a good designer he was.
Launched as the Nuova (new) 500 in July 1957, it was a cheap and practical town car. Measuring only 10 feet long, and originally powered by an appropriately sized 479 cc two-cylinder, air-cooled engine, the 500 redefined the term "small car" and is considered one of the first city cars.
Pneumatic 500 Tyres
Because the Fiat 500D, and for that matter the Fiat 500L, Fiat 500R, Fiat 500 Furginico and Fiat 500 Giardineira all have wheels that do not have a safety rib, we would suggest fitting 12C Michelin inner tubes. It is these 1950s wheels that determine that inner tubes should be fitted the 125SR12 Pirelli tyres are themselves could be tubeless, if they were on an appropriate Wheel. But it is the wheel that needs the inner tube.
The original tyre for Fiat 500 is 125 SR 12 Pirelli Cinturato, which Pirelli are manufacturing in the original CN54 tread pattern. Some of the earlier pre 1964 Cinquecento did fit a crossply tyre, however there is not currently a crossply tyre made that we think is anywhere near as good as fitting the radial 125R12 Pirelli.
The cheapest tyres for Fiat 500 are in our mind not worth bothering with. There are cheap brands available, However both the 125 SR12 Pirelli Cinturato CN54 & the 125R12 Michelin X are extremely good value for such quality tyres.
The correct tyre for a Fiat 500 is 125 R 12 Pirelli Cinturato CN54. There are various cheap tyres in the size 135 – 12. There is no point spoiling the handling, gearing, speedo and appearance of a classic Fiat 500 just to save a few pounds.
Classic Fiat 500 Models
- Nuova 500 (1957–1961).
- Nuova 500 Sport (1958–1960).
- 500 D (1960–1965).
- 500 Giardiniera (1960–1968).
- 500 Furgoncino.
- 500 F or Berlina (1965–1973).
- 500 L or Lusso (1967—71).
- 500 R or Rinnovata (1971—1976).
- Fiat 500 America.
- 2.10.1Abarth 695 SS (1964–1971).
- 2.10.2Fiat 500 Jolly Ghia.