DKW Junior Tyres
DKW Junior 1959–1965
1962 DKW Junior Deluxe
- The DKW Junior fitted 5.50 - 13 on all models except the DKW Junior 2 Door Saloon which fitted 5.20 - 12 crossply tyres.
- Unfortunately there are no road-legal classic tyres in the size 5.50 - 13. However, you can fit 155 R13 tyres as a radial alternative to 5.50 - 13.
- We recommend the 155R13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 or the 155 HR 13 Michelin XAS FF as the best tyres in this size.
- We recommend the Michelin 13D innertube for tyres in this size.
- The crossply tyre we offer in the size 5.20 - 12 is the 5.20 x 12 Camac, but this is a budget tire, we would suggest fitting a good quality radial tyre.
- the Michelin 12CG is the innertube we suggest for these tyres.
- Alternatively, you can fit 125 - 12 as a radial alternative to 5.20 - 12. The tyre we recommend in this size is the 125SR12 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN54.
- You may also fit this tyre as the 125SR12 CINTURATO CN54 Whitewall.
- We suggest fitting the Michelin 12C to this sized tyre.
DKW Junior Recommended Tyres
Other Options for DKW Junior Tyres
History of the DKW Junior
The DKW Junior was a small front-wheel-drive saloon manufactured by Auto-Union. The car was known for its continued use of the 2-Stroke engine, something uncommon at the time as 4-stroke engines were now becoming the industry standard, meaning 2 stroke engines were gaining a lesser reputation, regarded as rougher and noisier than the new 4 strokes. Despite the out of fashion inner workings, the bodywork was very modern, featuring a three-box, ponton design, with tail fins on the rear.
The Junior was met with a positive reaction, positioned as slightly cheaper than the Auto-Union 1000 and fitted with certain features designed to give it a bigger impression on consumers over the Volkswagen Beetle, namely heaters, more cabin space and more luggage space.
The production of the Junior ended with Volkswagen's acquisition of Auto-Union from Daimler-Benz and the subsequent termination of all 2-stroke DKW cars as these cars were struggling to compete against Volkswagen and Opel's 4-stroke models.