Alfa Romeo Spider Tyres
For more specific information on your Alfa Romeo Spider, select yours from the menu below.
Alfa Romeo Spider 1966–1991
- The early 1966-1969 Alfa Romeo Spider fitted 155 R15 Tyres 155 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67. This tyre is still the best choice for these early 'Duetto' cars.
- Early Spiders fitted tube-type wheels that require innertubes. The correct tube for 155 R15 tyres is the Michelin 15E 13 innertube.
- Around 1969 Alfa Romeo changed the Spider onto 14" wheels and fitted either 165 HR 14 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 or 165 HR 14 Michelin XAS.
- There has always been discussion about what is best, and that boils down to personal taste because they are both excellent. The asymmetric design of the Michelin XAS offers fantastic directional stability, making it the best classic tyre for motorways.
- The PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67 is known for it's progressive sporty handling, so great on the track or on some windy lanes.
- The ideal innertube for 165 R14 tyres is the Michelin 14D.
- If you have the 6” wide rim and are going to fit a wider tyre, we would strongly recommend fitting a proper period tyre, we are fortunate enough to be able to offer a 185/70 R 14 Michelin XAS and the 185/70 VR 14 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36. These tyres have a carcass structure that is more suited to the chassis of an Alfa Spider.
- The ideal tube for these 185/70 R14 tyres is the 14E innertube.
- 185/70 R14 tyres became a standard fitment on 2000 Spider Veloce models from 1983-1984. The 185/70 VR 14 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36 and 185/70 R 14 Michelin XAS remain the best options.
- From 1985 Alfa Romeo produced the Spider Quadrifoglio that fitted 195/60 R15 tyres. In this size we recommend the 195/60 VR 15 Michelin Pilot Primacy 3.
- Tyres with a profile below 70% (e.g. 195/60 VR 15 Michelin Pilot Primacy 3) should not be fitted with innertubes.
- The 1990-92 S4 Alfa Spider 1600 is believed to fit 185/70 R14. 195/60R15 tyres may have been an option but we do not have documentation to prove this.
- The 1990-93 S4 Alfa Spider 2000 featured power steering and fitted either 185/70 R14 or 195/60 R15 tyres, in this size we offer the 195/60 VR 15 Michelin Pilot Primacy 3.
Alfa Romeo Spider 'Duetto' (Series 1)
Series 1 1966-1969
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750 (Series 2)
Series 2 1970-1982
1985 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce (Series 3)
Series 3 1983-1989
1990 Alfa Romeo Spider (Series 4)
Series 4 1990-1993
Alfa Romeo Spider Tyres
For the Alfa Romeo Spider as a special offer we have sets of 4 or 5 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™; tyres. There wouldn't be a better tyre to suit an Alfa Romeo Spider. The PIRELLI CINTURATO ™; is a period tyre that was around from 1952 to the early 1980 and was produced very much with the view to compliment the handling of cars like the Spider Alfa Romeo.
History of the Alfa Romeo Spider
The Spider 1600 used the same mechanics as the Giulia, it was launched at the 36th Geneva Motor Show in 1966. The highly original cuttle-fish tail and convex sides gave a striking image, the tail was toned down on later Spiders (from approximately 1970 onwards).
Alfa Romeo ran a competition to name the car; 'Duetto' won, however enthusiasts preferred the '1600 Spider.' The engine was later swapped for the 1750 GT Veloce, mounted on the Pininfarina Spider. This further increased the already astonishing performance figures.
The Alfa Romeo Spider was extremely successful, with great staying power. It stayed in production for 26yrs, a figure only a handful of cars have matched.
Alfa Romeo Spider Borrani Wheels
If you require new Borrani wire wheels for your Alfa Romeo Spider then please click here for information on Borrani wire wheels.