Wolseley 15/50 Tyres
Here is what Longstone Tyres recommends based on your Wolseley 15/50 tyre needs:
- 155 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 for a Wolseley 15/50 (Pre-1960)
- 5.60 x 15 Firestone if you desire a crossply instead of a modern radial.
- For these tyres we recommend the Michelin 15E inner tube.
- 165 HR 14 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 for a Wolseley 15/50 (Post-1960)
- For these tyres Longstone recommends the Michelin 14D inner tube.
Wolseley 15-50 Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Wolseley 15-50 Tyres
History of the Wolseley 15/50
Built between 1956-1958, the Wolseley 15/50 was an updated version of the Wolseley 4/44 which shared a lot of its design with the MG Magnette. The biggest difference was the engine; the 4/44 utilised a pre-BMC Morris XPA motor, and once the MG TF was discontinued, it was the sole car remaining equipped with it. To streamline production, the 15/50 was introduced with the BMC B-series engine.
The 15/50 engine, unlike the MG, had only a single SU carburettor, hence power output was significantly lower at 55 bhp at 4400 rpm. The 15/50, unlike the 4/44, featured a floor gear shift. A two-pedal centrifugal clutch gearbox was available beginning in 1956. A vacuum servo was controlled by a micro switch buried in the gear lever. Changes into the lowest ratio, which would ordinarily require double-declutching, might be problematic with no synchromesh on bottom gear. The chassis was monocoque, with independent coil spring suspension at the front and a live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs. The steering was rack and pinion, and the brakes were Lockheed drums all around.
The automobile had luxury trim, including a polished walnut console and door cappings, leather seats, and a typical Wolseley radiator grille with an illuminated logo, in line with the Wolseley brand's upmarket positioning. The individual front seats were positioned fairly close together to allow the automobile to be utilised as a six-seater, although in a limited capacity, it was often sold as a four-seater. The handbrake lever was located beneath the dashboard. As usual, a heater was installed.
An example with a Manumatic transmission was tested by The Motor magazine. The highest speed of the car, according to Motor magazine in 1957, was 77.9 mph, and it could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 26.7 seconds. The fuel usage was 28.7 miles per imperial gallon. The test vehicle cost £1011, including £338 in taxes. In 1958, it was superseded by the Farina-styled Wolseley 15/60.