Sunbeam Rapier Tyres
Sunbeam Rapier Series 3 Convertible
Sunbeam Rapier 1955–1976
Here is what Longstone Tyres recommends based on your Sunbeam Rapier tyre needs:
- The First 4 iterations of the Rapier (I, II, III, IIIA) from 1955 to 1963 fitted 560 - 15 Tyres. In this size we can offer the 5.60 x 15 Firestone.
- A 5.50 x 15 Excelsior could also be fitted to these early models.
- For these tyres the Michelin 15E is the ideal innertube.
- 1963 saw the release of the Rapier IV, which had been switched to 13" road wheels.
- We suggest fitting the 155R13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 or the 155 HR 13 Michelin XAS FF for a Sunbeam Rapier (Pre-1971) with a low profile option of 175/70 VR 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36.
- The 165 VR 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36 or is the perfect tyre for a post 1970 Sunbeam Rapier and the Rapier H120.
- Our period Innertube Guide suggests that Rapier I-IV models fitted tube-type wheels, but post 67 models and the Rapier H120 fitted tubeless wheels, see below for more information.
- A 185/70 VR 13 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 is a more modern low profile option for later Sunbeam Rapier H120 from 1970 to 1976.
- The correct innertube for these 155 R13 and 165 R13 tyres is the Michelin 13D, and the best tube for the 175/70 R13 tyres is the Michelin 13E innertube.
Sunbeam Rapier Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Sunbeam Rapier Tyres
History of the Sunbeam Rapier
Built between 1955-1976 the Sunbeam Rapier was the first of the "Audax" series of light cars made by Rootes group. There were several different models of the Sunbeam Rapier; the Series I (1955-1958), Series II (1958-1959), Series III (1959-1961), Series III A (1961-1963), Series IV (1963-1965), Series V (1965-1967) and a Sunbeam Rapier Fastback Coupe (1967-1976).
Independent Tyre Test - The Results
In the world of modern tyres it is commonplace to come across a tyre test. Sadly in the world of classic tyres, the investment never seems to be there to do a proper modern tyre test. However, a German magazine in July 2016 conducted this modern tyre test using classic tyres. This classic tyre test has been translated from German to English. What is remarkable in this tyre test is quite how well the PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 classic tyre performed in the table at the end. The scores in this table are not scored in relation to the other tyres in the test, so when a score of 1 is recorded, then that is a perfect score for a classic tyre or a modern tyre. It is wonderful to see that these classic PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 tyres can give such exemplary results.