Renault 5 Tyres
- The first generation Renault 5 1972 - 1985 cars came fitted 145R13 tyres. We are pleased to say we now offer 145HR13 Pirelli Cinturato CA67 tyres.
- A Michelin tyre would be the perfect option for an early R5 owner, Michelin make the historic 145HR13 XAS. Perfect for the classic Renault 5.
- These early Renault 5 models tyre pressures would be 25psi front 29psi rear.
- We also stock tyres for the Renault 5 Turbo of 1982 190/55R340 Michelin TRX & 220/55VR365 Michelin TRX.
- There are a selection of Michelin TB tyres for Renault 5 Rally cars.
- The second generation of Renault 5, post 1984 fitted more modern generic tyre sizes: 145/70R13, 155/70R13 & 165/65R13.
- For the second generation 1.4 Renault 5 GT Turbo of 1985 originally fitted 195/55R13 Michelin MXV.
- For the R5 GT Turbo we recommend the 195/55VR13 Michelin Pilot Exalto and we can offer 195/55VR13 Avon CR27
Renault R5 Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Renault R5
Renault 5 Alpine Turbo, Gordini Turbo, Copa Turbo
Renault upgraded the Renault 5 Alpine with a Turbo and the Renault 5 Alpine Turbo came out in 1982. In the UK the same car was called the Renault 5 Gordini Turbo, where the Garrett T3 Turbo charged 1.4l engine drove the 13” front wheels. Both the normally aspirated and Turbo charged front wheel drive R5 Alpine Turbo and R5 Gordini Turbo fitted 155/70R13 Michelin XVS. For Motorsport these 13” wheels could also be fitted with Michelin TB15 tyres.
Renault 5 Turbo Tyres
To take things a step further for motorsport the engine was set in the middle of the car and drove the rear wheels in the Renault 5 Turbo. This should bot be confused with the earlier 5 Alpine Turbo, Renault 5 Gordini Turbo or the later 1985 Renault 5 GT Turbo. This rear wheel drive car was very different with 340mm wheels on the front fitted with 190/55VR340 Michelin TRX and 365mm rear wheels with 200/60VR365 TRX or the tyre that is still made the 220/55VR365 Michelin TRX.
1985 Renault 5 GT Turbo Tyres
The second generation of Turbo charged Renault 5 with the 8 valver pushrod 1397cc 4 pot engine was called the Renault 5 GT Turbo, again fitted 13” wheels, but now with 195/55R13 Michelin MXV. Today, the MXV is no longer made, but Michelin make the 195/55VR13 Pilot Exalto.
The Mid engine rear wheel drive Renault 5 Turbo fitted 190/55VR340 Michelin TRX with 220/55VR365 TRX on t he rear (some cars had 200/60VR365 TRX on the rear. This mid-engine Renault 5 Turbo should not be mixed up with the front wheel drive cars; R5 Gordini/Alpine Turbo which fitted 155/70VR13 Michelin XVS or the post 1984 second generation Renault 5 GT Turbo which fitted 195/55VR13 Michelin MXV.
From 1982 through 1984 Renault fitted 145R13 Michelin ZX or 145R13 XZX tyres to their base models. The later second generation cars fitted 145/70R13, 155/70R13 or 185/65R13 tyres to the none turbo charged Renault 5 models.