Ferrari 512 Berlinetta Boxer Tyres
- The first of the 512 Berlinetta Boxer cars of 1976 fitted 7.5”X15” Wheels and 215/70 WR 15 Michelin XWX the front.
- Unlike the earlier 365 GT/4 BB the 512BB had wider 9” rear wheels with 225/70 WR 15 Michelin XWX Until 1981.
- The Michelin 15/17H will be the best fitting inner tube for these tyres.
- Tyre pressure for the early Ferrari BB 512, we suggest 36psi in the front and 39psi in the rear.
- In 1981 Ferrari added the fuel injection and 415mm Wheels and 240/55R415 Michelin TRX tyres to the BB512i.
- The front Wheels of the 512BBi were 180mm and the rears 210mm. However, the Ferrari BB 512i fitted 240/55VR415 TRX front and rear until 1984.
- Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer 512i tyre pressures are suggested to be 45psi for both the front and the rear.
- Set of 2 215/70 VR 15 & 2 225/70 VR 15 Michelin XWX
Starting at $2,268.00 $1,890.00
- Set of 2 215/70 WR 15 & 225/70 WR 15 Pirelli Stelvio + Tubes
Starting at $3,276.00 $2,730.00
Ferrari 512BB Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Ferrari 512BB Tyres
Ferrari 512bbi tyres
The later Ferrari 512BBi came fitted with 240/55x415 Michelin TRX tyres all round while the final incarnation of the car used the same tyre set up as the Ferrari Testarossa, namely, 240/45x 415 Michelin TRX tyres at the front and 280/45x415 Michelin TRX tyres at the rear.
Michelin TRX Tyres Explained
Ferrari 512BB and 512BBi Wheels
The wheel situation with the Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer classic cars can be a little confusing.
The first Berlinetta Boxer, the 365GT/4 BB had 7” wheels front and rear, with 215/70VR15 tyres front and rear.
When they upped the engine size from 4.4 litres to 4.9 litres and called the car the 512 BB they maintained the same front 215/70 VR 15 tyre on the same size 7” wheel. However they fitted a very wide 9” wheel on the rear with a 225/70 VR 15 tyre. Both the 7" and the 9" wheels have Borrani wire wheel fitment options (see below).
Then when they updated to the BB512i with fuel injection and millimetric Michelin TRX classic tyres, they continued to have different size front and rear wheel widths (180mm front & 210mm rear) however they did fit the same size 240/55VR415 Michelin TRX vintage Ferrari tyres.
Confusion can be caused because the continuation, if you like, the next rear engine 12 cylinder classic Ferrari to take over from the Berlinetta Boxer 512i was the Ferrari Testarossa. The Testrossa carried on with millimetric TRX wheels, this later generation of Ferrari, did also fit a larger rear wheel than the front wheel. However unlike the 512BBi, the Testarossa did have different size front and rear tyres.
Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer FAQ
A: With an extraordinary car such as the vintage Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer 512 you have to accept that they are made to the highest quality and in very small batches. The first Ferrari 512BB fitted 215/70VR15 Michelin XWX on the front and 225/70VR15 Michelin XWX on the rear. The later, post 1981 Ferrari BB512i fitted 240/55VR415 Michelin TRX tyres. The details of which are all listed above.
A: The classic Ferrari 512 i Berlinetta Boxer with fuel injection was reputably capable of 160mph. The earlier 512BB listed a top speed of 169mph. Fortunately all the original equipment tyres still made by Michelin for the 512 Berlinetta Boxer classic Ferrari are W speed rated (170mph or 270kph)
Borrani Wire Wheels
Borrani wheels are available for your Ferrari 512 BB Wheels. As agents for the iconic Ruote Borrani Milano company we are able to supply all wheels from their extensive range.
If your Borrani wheels require rebuilding then please contact us at email@example.com
Wire wheels made by Ruote Borrani Milano are, without doubt, the best wire wheels available. Borrani wheels utilise aluminium rims, steel spokes and steel wheel centres.
Click the link for Ferrari 512 BB Wheels Borrani wheels.
Wheels made by Borrani are available in the following styles:
- Painted silver finish, as per the racing wheels of the period
- Polished and chrome finish, highly polished rim, chrome spokes & wheel centre
- Painted finish with polished outer edge