Citroen ID Tyres
- The first Citroen ID cars, (Pre 1965) be it the Citroen ID19 or Citroen ID20 fitted 165 SR 400 Michelin X tyres. These early Citroen ID19 and ID20 cars can only fit 165R400 Michelin X tyres because they have 400 mm wheels, you cannot fit 16" tyres on the 400mm wheels that came with these early ID cars.
- The ideal inner tube for this is the Michelin 16E inner tube.
- From 1965 the Citroen ID started changing from 400mm rims to 15" wheels. Citroen ID19, ID20 and the new ID21 came fitted with 180 HR 15 Michelin XAS. Some of the Citroen ID models fitted smaller tyres on the rear; 155 HR 15 Michelin XAS FF and 165-15 Michelin XAS. All these Citroen ID tyres are still available. We would recommend fitting the 180HR15 Michelin XAS front and rear which will mean you will always have the right spare wheel; And there is no benefit to having the smaller tyres on the rear of a Citroen ID21, ID20 or Citroen ID19.
- For these tyres we recommend the Michelin 15E inner tube.
- Back in the 60's when Michelin started making Citroen ID tyres for 15" rims they decided to call them 380mm rims and named the tyres 180 HR 380 Michelin XAS. We have to accept that in France an inch means nothing, and for Michelin to make tyres for imperial sized rims was somewhat of a pain in the posterior. So you may well find that the Citroen ID may have a tyre recommendation called 180 HR 380 Michelin XAS. This is exactly the same tyre as a 180 HR 15 Michelin XAS, it is just written differently.
Citroen ID19 Tyres
- Citroen ID cars came on a 5" wide rim which is suited ideally to the 180 HR 15 Michelin XAS. the 5"J wheels have a circular hole in the middle.
- Later Citroen started to fit a 5.5" rim to their later DS range so they could fit wider 185 HR 15 XAS tyres. The 185 HR 15 Michelin XAS is no longer manufactured. Michelin does however make a 185 HR 15 Michelin XVS-P. There is a chance that these 5.5" wide rims have ended up on your Citroen ID.
- For these tyres we recommend the Michelin 15F Offset Valve inner tube.
- It is not a problem however, you can still fit 180 HR 15 Michelin XAS on a 5.5" wide rim. Incidentally you can also fit 185 HR 15 Michelin XVS-P on a 5" rim.
Citroen ID21 Tyres
- Some Citroen ID may also be fitted with 185 HR 15 Michelin XVS-P as were the late Citroen DS. There is some discussion as to whether the 185 HR 15 Michelin XVS-P tyre is suited to a Citroen ID.
- The most important thing is that a Citroen ID fits an asymmetric tyre, which is what they were developed in conjunction with. Longstone Tyres recommends fitting 180 HR 15 Michelin XAS for all Citroen ID on 15" wheels. They are ideally suited to the car and extremely good price for such a high-quality tyre, and we have no doubt that fitting the Michelin 180 HR 15 XAS asymmetric tyres will make your Citroen ID handle and look better than any other road tyres.
Citroen ID Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Citroen ID Tyres
Citroën ID History
In 1957 a slightly less complex version of the Citroen DS was introduced called the ID 19. This model retained the body and suspension of the DS but made do with conventional braking, steering, gear changing and basic trim. The introduction of the Citroen ID19 spelt the end for the much loved and admired Citroen Traction Avant, production of which ended in 1957.In 1968 the Citroen ID was given its first major redesign giving the car four headlights fitted behind plastic covers. The inner pair of headlights swivelled with the steering (a feature Mercedes have just introduced 38 years later!) while the outer pair were linked to the suspension to maintain a level beam.Also in 1968 the ID's became the D spécial, if equipped with the old engine, or D Super if fitted with the new DS20 engine. The Citroen D Super was made available with the DS21 engine and 5 speed gearbox.