1968 AC 428 Frua Coupe
AC 428 Frua Tyres
- The original tyre for the AC428 is the 205 R 15 Avon Textile. Although the correct size, this tyre is better suited to a large saloon such as a Rolls Royce.
- The recommended tyre for the 428 is the the 205 WR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN72 as it is the best tyre for a sports car.
- If you want more modern tyres on your AC 428 Frua then Pirelli make a 215/70 WR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN12.
- The correct inner tube for these tyres is the Michelin 15/17H Offset Valve Inner Tube.
- Inner tubes can be advantageous but are not necessary when fitting radial tyres. However, if you have wire wheels (see below for Borrani wire wheel options) inner tubes must be used.
- The optimum tyre pressures for this setup is 26psi in the front and 28psi in the rear.
- For more information regarding inner tubes, see our handy Inner Tube Guide.
AC 428 Tyres Explained
- Set of 2 215/70 VR 15 & 2 225/70 VR 15 Michelin XWX
Starting at £1,680.00 £1,400.00
AC 428 Recommended Tyres
Other Options for AC 428 Tyres
History of the AC 428
The Classic AC Frua or AC 428 is a 1960s and early 1970s British "GT" automobile. It was produced by AC Vehicles from 1965 to 1973 and is exceedingly uncommon, with just 81 cars produced in total: 49 Coupes (known as fastbacks), 29 Convertibles, and three special-bodied cars. The car is based on the famous AC Cobra 427 Mark III race-bred coil spring chassis but is 6 inches longer.
The chassis were manufactured in the AC factory in England, then sent to Frua's workshop in Italy, where the body was attached before being returned to England for the power train and trim. The cost was exorbitant, and the automobiles could not be sold at a reasonable price. Unlike similar vehicles of the time, such as the legendary Iso Grifo, Iso Rivolta, and Monteverdi, as well as historic De Tomasos, the AC Frua had completely independent racing-based coil spring suspension. It is frequently mistaken with the similarly styled Maserati Mistral, which was also designed by Pietro Frua. The two automobiles are said to share the majority of their body panels, although only the front quarter windows and door handles are the same.
Borrani Wire Wheels
Borrani wheels are available for your AC 428. The 428 utilised the same running gear as the AC Cobra, for which Borrani makes a wire wheel. As agents for the iconic Ruote Borrani Milano company we are able to supply all wheels from their extensive range.
If your Borrani wheels require rebuilding then please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Wire wheels made by Ruote Borrani Milano are, without doubt, the best wire wheels available. Borrani wheels utilise aluminium rims, steel spokes and steel wheel centres.
Click the link for AC 428 Borrani wheels.
Wheels made by Borrani are available in the following styles:
- Painted silver finish, as per the racing wheels of the period
- Polished and chrome finish, highly polished rim, chrome spokes & wheel centre
- Painted finish with polished outer edge