VW Beetle Tyres
Longstone Classic Tyres has a long and deep association with the VW Bug, in that it’s two oldest employees had Beetles as their first cars. One being a standard 1974 Jeans Beetle and a 1972 1300 Bug. It is great fun when you first get on the road, but when you are driving a Beetle then the world is an all round brighter place.
Volkswagen Beetle Tyres
- The first VW Beetle fitted 5.00-15 crossply tyres.
- At the beginning of the ‘50s the Beetle moved onto 15” wheels & 5.60-15 crossply tyres
- Standard radial alternative to 5.60-15 is 155R15
- A slightly taller radial alternative is 165R15
- Some of the later 1303 and Super Beetle cars fitted 175/70VR15 Pirelli CN36 as OE
- Follow this link to our proper VW Beetle Tyres page, which will show you all of the different tread patterns available.
There are very few cars around fitted with the original 16” wheels. We would suggest the Avon 500/525X16 Tourist.
With the 15” wheels we would suggest for nimble light steering and sprightly acceleration then going with the standard 155R15 size will be the most fun tyre round wiggly roads. The 155 SR 15 Michelin X is the earliest tyre and was very much a tyre people fitted in period. Pirelli Cinturato 155 HR 15 CA67 Is a more sporty tyre in the size and was original equipment on all sorts of exotica such as a Lotus Elite or an Alfa Rome Giulietta. And the other top-notch option would be the Michelin 155 HR 15 XAS.
Some of the later Beetles, 1303 S, GSR, Super Beetle, Big Beetle, etc fitted 5.5” X 15 wheels fitted with Pirelli’s 175/70VR15 Cinturato CN36
Currently these days, because we spend so much time on dual carriageways, often people like to fit a taller tyre like the Michelin 165 SR 15 XZX. Again more sporty options like the 165HR15 Pirelli Cinturato CA67 are available. Also currently being made are 165HR15 Michelin XAS (1965) and 165VR15 Pirelli Cinturato CN36 (1968) which were fitted to cars like the Porsche 911 & 912 back in period.
White Wall Beetle Tyres
Because the Volkswagen Beetle is such a cool car there are still loads on the road and the knock-on effect is there is plenty of choice in these sizes which includes some white wall tyres. The 165SR15 Michelin XZX White Wall tyres are great value.
VW Beetle Tyre Prices
Currently we have on special offer a couple of real bargains for VW Beetle owners. There is an attraction to the Michelin XZX as it is a period tyre made for cars just like the beetle; relatively light weight and fun cars. The XZX offers good grip and comfort and the tread design of the XZX offers excellent wet road performance.
- Set of 4 of 165 R 15 Michelin XZX Beetle tyres
- Set of 5 of 165R15 Michelin XZX Volkswagen Beetle tyres