Volvo P1800 Tyres
- Longstone's recommended tyre is the 165 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67 as the original on the Volvo P1800S from 1963 to 1969.
- The Volvo P1800E, the injection version from 1969 – 1971 also fitted 165 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67.
- The 165 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67 was the original tyre for most of the Volvo P1800.
- The Cinturato was of course the tyre fitted by Roger Moore in 'The Saint'.
- Though some P1800S may have fitted Michelin X, and some P1800E fitted Continental, The Cinturato was the tyre of choice in period and still is today.
- If you need innertubes for the tyres we suggest the Michelin 15E innertube.
- Volvo P1800 S and P1800 E tyre pressures – 26psi front and 28psi rear.
- The Estate version, the P1800ES fitted 185/70 WR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36.
- We would suggest that the Cinturato CN36 is still the best tyre for the Estate car Volvo P1800 ES.
- If you need innertubes for these tyres we recommend the Michelin 15E innertube.
- Volvo P1800ES tyre pressure - 26psi front and 29psi rear.
Volvo P1800 Tyres Video
Volvo P1800 Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Volvo P1800 Tyres
History of the Volvo P1800
Built between 1961-1973 the P1800 was Volvo's next attempt at a sports car after the failure of the P1900. The car very nearly was cancelled after its initial styling and prototype work was done by Pelle Petterson working under Pietro Frua, as it was hoped Karmann would be able to do the tooling and building but just before work began Volkswagen forbade Karmann from bringing the project to fruition under threat of withdrawing contracts in 1957. After being in the dark for a while in 1960 Volvo turned to Jensen Motors and agreed to a contract for 10,000 cars (though this would be ended at 6,000 cars due to Jensen's problems with quality control and production moved to Volvo's Lundby plant).
A: Volvo during the days of the P1800 were fitting Pirelli 165 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 tyres, These were the tyres fitted by Roger Moore in the Saint. We would suggest that these are the best classic Volvo tyres today. The later estate version the Volvo P1800ES fitted wider 185/70VR15 tyres. We suggest 185/70VR15 Pirelli CN36
A: from looking at a variety of period tyre pressure recommendations for a P1800 we would suggest 26psi in the front and 29psi rear on all models.