History of the Vauxhall 14-6
The Vauxhall 14-6 is a car manufactured by Vauxhall from 1939 and 1948. The 14-6 was released in early October at the 1938 Earls Court Motor Show as a six-light, four door saloon powered by a four bearing, OHV, 1,781cc Straight-six engine. It had a maximum speed of 70 miles per hour and accelerated from 0 to 50 miles per hour in 18.2 seconds.
The old engine was kept, but the compression ratio was increased from 6.25 to 6.75:1 and the timing was altered, raising the output to 48 horsepower at 3000rpm. Other modifications were independent front suspension with torsion bars rather than the preceding Dubonnet system, semi-elliptic leaf springs at the back, Lockheed hydraulic brakes, and a three-speed all-synchromesh gearbox rather than the four-speed "silent third" gearbox.
The vehicle now had a unitary hull, a 4 inch longer wheelbase, and a 1 inch wider track than its predecessor, making it larger than the 12-4 model released at the same time. Previously, the 12 and 14 horsepower versions had the same chassis. Individual leather front seats, a back seat with an arm rest, a rear window blind, and a sliding sunroof were among the interior amenities. Changes in the bonnet-louvre and grille identify post-war vehicles. 45,499 copies were made in total, including 30,511 built in the postwar period.