Triumph Stag Tyres
- The Triumph Stag initially came fitted with 185-14 Tyres.
- Presently the best tyre for a pre-1976 Triumph Stag is the 185 HR 14 Michelin MXV-P .
- For these tyres we recommend the Michelin 14F inner tube.
- In 1976 Triumph found that their Stag had improved handling when fitted with 175 HR 14 Michelin XAS , so they changed the standard fitment of the Stag to 175HR14 making this the best tyre for a Triumph Stag today.
- These tyres would best fit an Michelin 14E inner tube.
- We are aware that many people want a tyre with a white band for this car, the 185 R 14 Michelin MXV Whitewall offers this whilst also offering the best performance.
- We have also sourced a 195/75 R 14 Hankook Whitewall with a 3/4" white band which is excellent value.
Here is what Longstone Tyres recommends based on your Triumph Stag tyre needs:
185 HR 14 Michelin MXV-P for a Triumph Stag (1970-1976).
175 HR 14 Michelin XAS for a Triumph Stag (Post-1976).
Triumph Stag Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Triumph Stag Tyres
History of the Triumph Stag
Built between 1970-1977, the Triumph Stag was a convertible four-seater luxury sports car designed to compete with the Mercedes-Benz SL. However, for structural rigidity and to meet the new American rollover requirements a B-pillar was added that was connected to the windscreen via a T-bar. The car however suffered from mechanical unreliability (notably overheating) for which most owners replaced the engine entirely, some even putting in the Triumph 6-cylinder that the car was originally designed for.