Porsche 911 SC
1978-1983 Porsche 911 SC
911 SC Tyres
- From 1978 to 1983 the Porsche 911 SC tyres were fitted with 185/70 WR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36 front, and 215/60 WR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36 rear.
- The Pirelli P6000 is not suited to the Porsche 911 SC, as the P6000 carcass is suited to a more modern chassis setup.
- For the 911 SC or 911 Super Carrera you could specify 16” wheels with 205/55R16 Pirelli P7, on the front and 225/50R16 Pirelli P7 On the rear.
- Porsche 911SC tyre pressures for 15” wheels - 29psi on the front and 36psi on the rear.
- Tyre pressures for 911SC fitted with 16" wheels - 29psi on the front and 35psi on the rear.
Porsche 911 SC Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Porsche 911 SC Tyres
Porsche 911 Super Carrera Tyres
- (1978-‘83) 911 SC 3.0 = 185/70VR15 Pirelli Cinturato CN36 N & 215/60VR15 Pirelli Cinturato CN36 N. Optional 205/55YR16 Pirelli P7 N & 225/50YR16 Pirelli P7 N.
- (1978-‘83) 911 SC 3.0 Targa = 185/70VR15 Pirelli Cinturato CN36 N & 215/60VR15 Pirelli Cinturato CN36 N Optional 205/55YR16 Pirelli P7 N & 225/50YR16 Pirelli P7 N
- (1983) 911 SC 3.0 Cabriolet= 185/70VR15 Pirelli Cinturato CN36 N & 215/60VR15 Pirelli Cinturato CN36 N Optional 205/55YR16 Pirelli P7 N & 225/50YR16 Pirelli P7 N
Porsche introduced the 911 Super Carrera (or 911SC) models in 1978 and continued to fit 185/70VR15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 N on the front and 215/60 WR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 N on the rear. Fortunately, these tyres are made again by Pirelli. Porsche have got involved with the project and awarded these tyres the Porsche N homologation and recommend these tyres as ideal for the 911 Super Carrera.
The Porsche 911 Super Carrera was also offered with 16” wheels. In fact, in some countries such as the UK, 16” wheels were fitted as standard, using the fabulous super low profile Pirelli Cinturato P7 that had been fitted to the Porsche 930. The 911 SC fitted 205/55R16 Cinturato P7 on the front and 225/50R16 Cinturato P7 rear. Later Porsche fitted 245/45R16 Cinturato P7 to some of their cars which is ideal if you have 9” rims on the rear.
These 16” Pirelli P7 tyres also have been tested by Porsche and achieved the N homologation.
Classic Porsche Tyres
In the world of modern tyres it is commonplace to come across a tyre test. Sadly, in the world of classic tyres, the investment never seems to be there to do a proper modern tyre test. However, a German magazine in July 2016 conducted this modern tyre test on classic Porsche tyres. This classic Porsche tyre test has been translated from German to English. What is remarkable in this tyre test is quite how well the PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 classic Porsche tyres performed in the table at the end. The scores in this table are not scored in relation to the other tyres in the test, so when a score of 1 is recorded, then that is a perfect score for a classic tyre or a modern tyre. It is wonderful to see that these classic Porsche tyres can give such exemplary results.
The simple time honoured shape of a Porsche 911 has been something that has inspired classic car enthusiasts for years. The refined elegant pure shape is unmistakeable. Now Longstone tyres, with the support from the world's best tyre manufacturers are able to supply tyres for classic 911's.
Classic Porsche Tyres
Below you will find a classic Porsche fitment guide and an independent article written about the tyre choices for your classic Porsche.