BMW 5 Series Tyres
BMW 528i E12
BMW E12 1972–1981
- In the ‘70s the more run of the mill E12 5 series BMW; 518, 520, & 520-I fitted 175 HR 14 Michelin XAS tyres.
- These tyres can be fitted with a Michelin 14E innertube.
- Our period fitment guides state that 5 series models were released on tubeless wheels with tubeless tyres.
- You could still fit innertubes to tubeless wheels; perhaps because you have tube-type tyres, a puncture, or you are not confident your rims are airtight.
- The more top end BMW 5 series cars such as 528 (1974–1976), 528i (1977–1981) & 535i (1980–1981) cars fitted 195/70 R14 tyres, in this size we can recommend the 195/70 VR 14 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36.
- The Michelin 14F is the correct sized innertube for these tyres.
- We would suggest fitting all the mid-range E12 5 series BMW cars with the same tyre as the M535, the 205/70 WR 14 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36, for which we can offer the Michelin 14F innertube.
BMW E28 520i
BMW E28 1981–1988
- If you have 14” wheels on your E28 1980s 5 series BMW, we would suggest fitting 205/70 WR 14 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36 (even though many of these cars fitted 195/70R14).
- The E 28 BMW 518i, 520i (1981–1988), 525e, 525i (1981–1987) & 528i SE fitted 200/60 VR 390 Michelin TRX.
- The top of the range 5 series E28 cars; 528i (1981–1987), 535i (1985–1988) & M535i (1985–1988), fitted larger 220/55 WR 390 Michelin TRX.
BMW 5 Series Recommended Tyres
Other Options for BMW 5 Series Tyres
Michelin TRX Tyres Explained
If your BMW 5 Series has a 195TR rim the ideal tyre for that wheel would be 240/45VR415 Michelin TRX GT.
A few BMW 5 Series fitted a 230/55VR390 tyre. It is also possible to fit a 220/55VR390 tyre onto the same wheels as can be seen from the pictures below!