Bentley R Type
- The later Bentley Type R originally fitted a 650x16/670x16 India tyre, which are sadley no longer made
- The later Type R fitted 670H16 Dunlop RS5, which again are no longer made
- Our current recommendation for an R Type Bentley is 670VR16 Avon Turbosteel
- A sporting radial alternative for a Bentley would be 185 VR 16 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™
- Bentley R Type fitting a radial tyre needs a tyre pressure of at least 36 psi front and rear
Recommended Bentley R Type Tyres
Other Options for Bentley R Type
R Type Bentley tyres
For originality the best crossply tyre is the 670H16 Dunlop RS5 but sadly they are no longer made. It was the only H rated cross ply tyre and in our mind the other alternatives are not comparatively cheap enough to warrant jeopardizing the handling and the integrity of the car to fit another tyre.
Currently Avon make a 670VR16 Turbosteel which is the closest in dimensions while at the same time being a good well-structured tyre which will help the car handle well on these tyres.
In period had you wanted to fit a radial tyre to your Bentley R Type, the 185 VR 16 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67 was the best option, as it still is today for the sporting driver. It is a little smaller in diameter, but will give the best handling on windy roads while looking fantastic as an evocative sports car tyre of the 1950's & 60's.