Morgan Plus 4 Tyres
Classic Morgan Plus 4
- Longstone classic tyres recommend the 165-15 Michelin XAS or 165 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 for your classic Morgan plus 4.
- We recommend the classic Michelin XAS as it is a correct period classic tyre that offers outstanding levels of grip due to its asymmetric carcase structure.
- The Michelin XAS also offers exceptional directional stability which diminishes the wandering effect needed on today's faster roads.
- We also suggest the 165 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67, it is as an exceptionally high quality, genuine period tyre made by one of the world's best tyre manufacturers.
- For these tyres we recommend the Michelin 15E inner tube.
Morgan Plus 4 Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Morgan Plus 4 Tyres
The Morgan Plus 4 is a larger and more powerful version of the Morgan Motor Company's 4/4 model and was made between 1950 and 1969. The model was revived in 1985 and filled the gap between the 4/4 and the Plus 8 until 2000; it was again revived in 2005.
After World War II Morgan had re-introduced their classic 4/4 model fitted with a 1267 cc Standard engine. This continued in production until 1950 when it was replaced by the larger Plus 4 announced at the 1950 Earl's Court Motor Show. In 1955 the 4/4 model re-appeared in phase II form.
The Plus 4 was fitted with a 2088 cc engine based on that used in the Standard Vanguard fitted in a strengthened and longer chassis. Hydraulic brakes, at first all drum, were fitted for the first time on a Morgan.
In 1953 a higher performance version was announced with the 1991 cc I4 engine as used in the classic Triumph TR3. The radiator grill was now surrounded by a cowl that blended into the bonnet. Front disc brakes became an option in 1959 and were standard in 1960. From 1962 the engine was the classic Triumph TR4 unit.