Delage DI Tyres
Delage DI 1923–1929
Delage DIS Beaded Edge Tyres
- The Delage DI of the early 1920s fitted beaded edge tyres in the size 820X120.
- The Delage DI evolved into the Delage DIS in 1924 and continued to fit Beaded edge 820 – 120 tyres, as did the first Delage DISS.
- We would suggest fitting the Ensign 820-120 tyres as we have faith in their carcass structure and they have a period tread pattern.
- For the Delage DI, DIS and DISS on beaded edge tyres, we recommend the Michelin 820-120 RET reinforced innertubes.
- DI, DIS and DISS Delage’s fitted with beaded edge tyres need high tyre pressures of around 65psi or more for a heavy bodied car or sporting use.
- In the mid 1920s Michelin developed the ability to make a larger section lower pressure Cable Comfort beaded edge tyre.
- Some Delage DISS fitted 775-145 Michelin Cable Comfort Tyres. There is no longer a tyre produced in this size.
- A 775-145 tyre rim has an overall external diameter of 526mm. If you have these rims, we recommend changing your wheels.
Delage DISS Tyres
- Throughout the 1920s more and more Tarmacadam roads were produced, for which beaded edge roads were not suitable.
- The extra grip provided by tarmac increased the side forces and in turn the failures of beaded edge tyres, so many of the Delage DISS came fitted with 20” well-based wheels.
- The standard size for a DISS fitted with 20” wheels was a 525-20 crossply tyre.
- For light spritely handling of an open touring Delage DIS (or DI or DIS fitted with 20” wheels) we suggest the 475/500-20 Lucas with 35psi.
- The inner tube we recommend for a 475/500-20 tyre is a Michelin 20/21 CD RET.
- If you have a heavier body, or just like a bigger tyre there is also the 600-20 Lucas fitted with a 19/20 H RET Michelin innertube.
Delage DI Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Delage DI Tyres