BMW 1602/1502 Tyres
BMW 1602-1502 1966–1977
- The BMW 1502 originally fitted a 600 x 13 crossply tyre, however, this size is no longer produced.
- At Longstone believe the best tyres to fit are a set of 165R13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36.
- The BMW 1502 fitted 4.5” tubeless wheels and the BMW 1600, 1600TL and 1602 models fitted 5” tubeless wheels.
- If needed for a 165R13 tyre the Michelin 13D is the ideal BMW 1602 / 1502 innertube.
- You could still fit innertubes to tubeless wheels; perhaps because you have tube-type tyres, suffer a puncture, or you are not confident your rims are airtight.
BMW 1602/1502 Recommended Tyres
Other Options for BMW 1602/1502 Tyres
History of the BMW 1602/1502
The 1600-2 (the "-2" denoting "2-door") debuted at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1966 and was marketed until 1975, when it was shortened to "1602" in 1971. The badge of the 1600-2 simply said "1600." At 5,700 rpm, the 1.6L M10 engine generated 84 horsepower.
The BMW 1502 marked a new entry point, costing exactly 1,000 marks less than the 1602. The 1502 was essentially a smaller 1602 with fewer extras. Despite what the model name implied, the engine was the same size as the 1600. The capacity was the same at 1,573cc, but the compression ratio was lower, and it generated 75 horsepower rather than 84. It was the only BMW vehicle that could run on ordinary gasoline, which was a big positive for consumers on a budget.
Independent Tyre Test - The Results
In the world of modern tyres it is common place to come across a tyre test. Sadly in the world of classic tyres, the investment never seems to be there to do a proper modern tyre test. However, a German magazine in July 2016 conducted this modern tyre test using classic tyres. This classic tyre test has been translated from German to English. What is remarkable in this tyre test is quite how well the PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 classic tyre performed in the table at the end. The scores in this table are not scored in relation to the other tyres in the test, so when a score of 1 is recorded, then that is a perfect score for a classic tyre or a modern tyre. It is wonderful to see that these classic PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 tyres can give such exemplary results.