Bentley 3 Litre
Bentley 3L on Beaded Edge Tyres
Bentley 3 Litre Tyres
- The early vintage Bentley 3 litre fitted beaded edge 820 - 120 Tyres, while the later cars fitted a 525 - 21 cross-ply tyre.
- Our recommended beaded edge tyre is the 8.20 x 120 Excelsior, which will require a set of Central Valve H/D Michelin 820X120 innertubes.
- We would recommend the 5.25 x 21 Firestone, which will handle nicely on a 21” wheel.
- Also Lucas make a 5.25 x 21 Lucas tyre which looks very much like the Goodrich tyres that Bentley fitted to may of its 3L road cars of the period.
- For these tyres the Michelin 19/20H innertube would be Longstone's pick.
- Some racing 3 litre Bentleys have 19” wheels, we would suggest 19” Dunlop Racing Tyres.
Bentley 3 Litre Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Bentley 3 Litre Tyres
TT 3 Litre Bentley Replica with Beaded Edge Tyre
History of the Bentley 3 Litre
The Bentley 3 Litre was the company's first car, and it was available to coachbuilders from 1921 through 1929. The Bentley was substantially larger than the 1368 cc Bugattis that dominated racing at the time, with twice the engine capacity and strength compensating for the additional weight. The automobile weighed 1800 kilogrammes and won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1924 with drivers John Duff and Frank Clement, and again in 1927 with drivers S. C. H. "Sammy" Davis and Dudley Benjafield.
Ettore Bugatti termed it "the fastest lorry in the world" due to its great weight, dimensions, and speed, which was considered praise. The Blue Label and Red Label Speed variants were all covered by a 5-year guarantee, however the very valuable and uncommon Green Label vehicles, capable of 100mph, only had a 12-month warranty, showing the enormous degree of tuning.