Pirelli still make a 205/55-16 in the Cinturato P7 that was fitted to so many classic Porsche
205/55 R 16
- It is worth noting that you should not fit an inner tube into a 205/55-16 tyre.
- 205/55 R16 is a front tyre size for classic Porsche
- Michelin make a 205/55R16 SX MXX3 & a 245/45YR16 SX MXX3
- Pirelli make the 225/50 YR16 P7 & 245/45 YR16 P7 To match up with their 205/50 R 16
- The 205/55 R16 Pirelli P7 is a front option for Ferrari 308 & 328 with 225/50 VR16 P7 on the rear.
- The Pirelli 205/55 R16 P7 is N homologated by Porsche as their recommended tyre.
- The tyres in the size 205/55-16 can be matched up with other Michelin SX MXX3 and Pirelli P7
Classic 205/55-16 Tyres
205/55 - 16
Both the Michelin 205/55 R16 SX MXX3 and the 205/55 R 16 Pirelli P7 are excellent tyres. Worth noting that these tyres can be matched up with other tyres in the tread pattern SX MXX3 and Pirelli P7. Particularly when fitting to Classic Porsche. The P7 also has options for Ferrari 308, 328 and Mondial.
They are not the cheapest 205/55 R16, however the 205/55R16 Pirelli P7 can be matched up with the 225/50YR16 Pirelli P7 & 245/40YR16 Pirelli P7 which are period correct Porsche tyres which also have N homologation.
Originally Ferrari fitted the 205/55 R 16 Goodyear NCT Gator back on the front and the 225/50 VR16 Goodyear Gatorback NCT on the rear. But in their literature they also recommended the 205/55R16 Pirelli P7 with the 225/50 VR16 P7 on the rear.
In Porsche 911 Carrera were still fitting the 185/70 VR15 Pirelli CN36 & 215/60 VR15 CN36 in 1984. However Porsche as with their 930 also offered the 16” Pirelli Cinturato P7 set up, which was initially 205/55 R16 P7 on the front and 225/50VR16 P7 on the rear. In 1985 The Porsche 911 Carerra Super Sport had a wider rear with 245/45VR16 P7 on the rear, as did the Porsche 911 Turbo. Fortunately Pirelli are making the P7 today which is homologated by Porsche with the N homologation as their recommended tyre for the Porsche 911 from 1975 & throughout the 1980 as these Pirelli Cinturato P7 were also fitted to the Porsche 911SC. Michelin also make 205/55 ZR 16
More good news for early Porsche 930, 911 RS & 911 Carrera owners is that the 205/50 VR 15, 225/50VR 15 & even 285/40 VR 15 Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyres are being made again homologated by Porsche with the N as their recommended tyre for that brief period of their top of the range air cooled 911 fitting crazy wide Fuch wheels. Between 1975 & 1977.
The original tyre on the Porsche 924 turbo were either 185/70VR15 Pirelli Cinturato CN36 or the 205/55 R16 Pirelli P7. The Porsche 924 S also offered the 205/55VR16 Pirelli P7 as their 16” wheel option, just like the 931.