Rolls Royce Silver Wraith
Recommended Products for Rolls Royce Silver Wraith
Other Options for Rolls Royce Silver Wraith
Rolls Royce Silver Wraith History
The Silver Wraith was the first post-war Rolls-Royce model and was made at the Crewe factory from 1946 to 1959.
The first cars had a 127 inch wheelbase chassis based on the one from the pre-war Wraith with coil sprung independent front suspension and semi-elliptic rear with a live axle. The engine was also based on the Wraith, but had a new cylinder head with overhead inlet valves and side exhaust valves and initially a capacity of 4257 cc. From 1951 this was increased to 4566 cc and in 1954 to 4887 cc on the long wheelbase models. The braking system was a hybrid hydromechanical system with hydraulic front brakes and mechanical rears using the mechanical servo from the pre-war cars, patented by Hispano-Suiza and built by Rolls-Royce under licence.
The long, 133 inch, wheelbase chassis was announced in 1951, and 639 were made until 1959. The last short wheelbase cars were made in 1953.
Initially only a four speed manual gearbox was offered, but this was supplemented by a General Motors automatic option from 1952.
This was the last Rolls-Royce model to receive a wide variety of bespoke coachwork designed and made by a rapidly declining number of specialist coachbuilders.