Recommended Rolls Royce Silver Ghost Tyres
- For early Rolls Royce Silver Ghosts we recommend 895X135 Ensign Chevron Cord for cars with Beaded Edge wheels together with the recommended 880X120 heavy duty inner tube
- For Silver Ghosts with Straight Sided wheels the 33X5 Lucas together with the 880X120 heavy duty inner tube and Wheel Flap will give the best ride
- Later Rolls Royce Silver Ghost with 21" Well Based wheels in our experience the 700X21 Michelin DR gives the best ride and looks combined with our recommended inner tube
Silver Ghost Tyre Pressures
- 895x135 Beaded Edge Tyres 80-90 psi
- 33x5 Straight Sided Tyres 65-70 psi
- 700x21 Well Based Wheels 40-45 psi
Recommended Tyres for Rolls Royce Silver Ghost
Silver Ghost Tyres
For early Silver Ghosts we recommend 895X135 Ensign Chevron beaded edge tyres inflated to between 80 - 90 psi. For Ghosts on 23" straight sided rims the new Lucas 33X5 is extremely good value and 33X5 tyres should be inflated to a minimum of 65 psi. Also with the 33X5 Lucas; we are increasingly getting reports of how much better the car handles and rides on the period ribbed tread pattern of the Lucas, compared to the more blocky tread patterns of the alternatives, which are also of course dramatically more noisy. For later cars on 21" wheels we recommend the 700X21 Michelin DR, as the grip is exceptional for a cross ply tyre and they give the most comfortable ride.
Silver ghosts were originally fitted with 895X135 beaded-edge tyres. Unfortunately, beaded-edge tyre technology is very outdated. When these cars were built the majority of road surfaces were loose; tyres didn't suffer the side-forces to the extent they are having to today on modern, tarmac road surfaces. Nevertheless, beaded edge tyre failure was very much an issue in period as it is today, as beaded-edge tyres regularly just went 'bang' and came off the rim damaging what was an expensive tyre but hopefully nothing more!
In the early '20s Rolls-Royce started to look to the new wired-on tyre technology, fitting 23" straight sided wheels with 33X5 tyres. This is the more sensible tyre fitment for these cars. (Though we appreciate that in having pre-war cars being sensible is clearly not the most important thing to us!)
Rolls Royce Silver Ghost owners appreciate the smoother more quite ride of the Lucas 33X5 tyre when fitted with straight sided wheels.