Armstrong Siddeley Lancaster
1947 Armstrong Siddeley Lancaster
Armstrong Siddeley Tyres
Armstrong Siddeley Lancaster Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Armstrong Siddeley Lancaster Tyres
History of the Armstrong Siddeley Lancaster
The Lancaster was Armstrong Siddeley's first post-war automobile, constructed between 1945 and 1952, it debuted the same week that hostilities in Europe ended. The Lancaster's chassis was completely novel, with independent front suspension employing torsion bars and a live rear axle with leaf springs. A Girling hydro-mechanical braking system was installed, with the front drums hydraulically controlled and the rear drums operated by rod and cable. Wire wheels were a possibility, although they were rarely used.
The Lancaster was initially equipped with a 70 horsepower 1991 cc six-cylinder engine brought over from the pre-war 16 hp type, but this was increased to 2309 cc in 1949 by extending the cylinder bore from 65 to 70 mm. There was an option between a four-speed synchromesh gearbox and a pre-selector gearbox. Mulliners of Birmingham supplied the four-door, six light body, which was built of steel and aluminium panel placed over a timber frame. A sunroof that opened was standard.