165/80 R 14
- 165-14 is the radial alternative to 5.90-14 or 5.60-14
- Low profile alternative for 165 - 14: 185/70 - 14
- Inner tube for 165 - 14: Michelin 14D Offset Valve Tube
- Rim tape (for Wire Wheel) for 165 - 14: Rim Tape 13" - 17"
- 165 - 14 can also be described as: 165/80 R 14, 165 x 14, 165/80 - 14 or 165 R 14
- 165-14 tyres were fitted by the MGB and Classic Alfa Romeo cars from the end of the 1960s right through into the 1980s.
- We would suggest the best 165-14 tyre for a classic car is the 165 HR 14 Michelin XAS or the 165 HR 14 Pirelli Cinturato CA67.
- A low profile alternative to a 165-14 would be a 185/70 -14. Of which we would suggest the Pirelli 185/70 VR 14 Cinturato CN36.
- Many people fit 185/70R14 to little rear wheel drive classic Sports cars like a MGB or an Alfa 1750 or 2000 Spider in search of grip.
- Worth noting that this extra straight line grip comes at the expense of progressive handling which is why Alfa and MG did not fit them in period.
Alternatives to 165-14 Tyres
A: The MGB GT fitted 165HR14 Pirelli Cinturato CA67. We would suggest this is still the best tyre.
A: The best tyre for 1970s and 1980s rear wheel drive Alfa Romeo cars such as the Spider, Giulia, and GT is the 165HR14 Pirelli Cinturato or 165HR14 Michelin XAS.
A: yes, however when they first developed radial tyres there was no need to mention the profile such as 165/80-14 because there was no choice.