Saab 99 Tyres
- We recommend a set of 165-15 Michelin XAS for a Saab 99.
- We would suggest either the 155 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67 or the 155 TR 15 Michelin X for a Saab 99L.
- A Saab 99 EMS, and 99 Turbo will be best fitted with the 175/70 WR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN36.
- For these tyres we recommend the Michelin 15E inner tube.
- Inner tubes are not essential for these tyres, but they can still be a great option compared to going tubeless. For more information, see our inner tube guide.
Saab 99 Recommended Tyres
Other Options for Saab 99 Tyres
History of the Saab 99
Built between 1968-1984 the Saab 99 was intended as a replacement for the Saab 96; however the Saab 96 would end up being sold alongside the Saab 99 until 1980, by which point the Saab 99 would start to be replaced by the Saab 900. There were several different models of the Saab 99; the Saab 99E (1970, electronic fuel injection), Saab 99EMS (1972, electronic fuel injection manual special), Saab 99SSE (US variant of the 99EMS), Saab 99X7 (1973, a very bare basic model), Saab 99L (1973, budget 1.85L engine model), Saab 99GL/GLE/GLs (Grand Luxe models with various additional features), Saab 99 Turbo/Turbo S (1978, 2-litre turbo-charged engine models), Saab 99 Finlandia (1977, limousine version), Saab 99 Petro (multi-fuel engine that could be run on gasoline or kerosene).
Although Saab engineers preferred the company's current two-stroke engine, it was determined that a four-stroke engine was required, and the decision was a 1.7-litre engine from Triumph. This was the same Triumph Slant-4 engine that powered the Triumph Dolomite, but the Saab version came with a Zenith-Stromberg CD carburettor designed specifically for Saab. A Triumph Stag V8 powered a number of Saab 99s, however, the V8 was ultimately abandoned in favour of a turbocharged engine, which later powered the 99 Turbo.