Renault 5 Tyres
- The first generation Renault 5 1972-1985 cars came fitted 145R13 tyres. We are pleased to say we now offer 145HR13 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 tyres; an excellent tyre in this size.
- A Michelin tyre would be the perfect option for an early R5 owner, Michelin make the historic 145 HR 13 XAS. Perfect for the classic Renault 5.
- The ideal inner tube for this is the Michelin 13CG inner tube.
- These early Renault 5 models tyre pressures would be 25psi front 29psi rear.
- We also stock tyres for the Renault 5 Turbo of 1982 190/55 VR 340 Michelin TRX & 220/55 VR 365 Michelin TRX.
- There are a selection of Michelin TB tyres for Renault 5 Rally cars.
- The second generation of Renault 5, post 1984 fitted more modern generic tyre sizes: 145/70R13, 155/70R13 & 165/65R13.
- For the second generation 1.4 Renault 5 GT Turbo of 1985 originally fitted 195/55R13 Michelin MXV.
- For the R5 GT Turbo we recommend the 195/55 VR 13 Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 and we can offer 195/55 VR 13 Avon Turbospeed CR27.
Other Options for Renault R5 Tyres
Renault 5 Alpine Turbo, Gordini Turbo, Copa Turbo
Renault upgraded the Renault 5 Alpine with a Turbo and the Renault 5 Alpine Turbo came out in 1982. In the UK the same car was called the Renault 5 Gordini Turbo, where the Garrett T3 Turbocharged 1.4l engine drove the 13” front wheels. Both the normally aspirated and Turbocharged front-wheel-drive R5 Alpine Turbo and R5 Gordini Turbo fitted 155/70R13 Michelin XVS. For Motorsport these 13” wheels could also be fitted with Michelin TB15 tyres.
Renault 5 Turbo Tyres
To take things a step further for motorsport the engine was set in the middle of the car and drove the rear wheels in the Renault 5 Turbo. This should not be confused with the earlier 5 Alpine Turbo, Renault 5 Gordini Turbo or the later 1985 Renault 5 GT Turbo. This rear-wheel-drive car was very different with 340mm wheels on the front fitted with 190/55VR340 Michelin TRX and 365mm rear wheels with 200/60VR365 TRX or the tyre that is still made the 220/55VR365 Michelin TRX.
1985 Renault 5 GT Turbo Tyres
The second generation of Turbocharged Renault 5 with the 8 valve pushrod 1397cc 4 pot engine was called the Renault 5 GT Turbo, again fitted 13” wheels, but now with 195/55R13 Michelin MXV. Today, the MXV is no longer made, but Michelin makes the 195/55VR13 Pilot Exalto.
The Mid-engine rear-wheel drive Renault 5 Turbo fitted 190/55VR340 Michelin TRX with 220/55VR365 TRX on the rear (some cars had 200/60VR365 TRX on the rear. This mid-engine Renault 5 Turbo should not be mixed up with the front-wheel-drive cars; R5 Gordini/Alpine Turbo which fitted 155/70VR13 Michelin XVS or the post-1984 second-generation Renault 5 GT Turbo which fitted 195/55VR13 Michelin MXV.
From 1982 through 1984 Renault fitted 145R13 Michelin ZX or 145R13 XZX tyres to their base models. The later second-generation cars fitted 145/70R13, 155/70R13 or 185/65R13 tyres to the none turbocharged Renault 5 models.