Morgan Plus 8
1969 Morgan Plus 8
Morgan Plus 8 Tyres
- Longstone classic tyres recommend the 185 VR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 for your classic Morgan Plus 8.
- We recommend the 185 VR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 as it is a correct period classic tyre that offers outstanding levels of grip. The 185 VR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CA67 also offers exceptional directional stability which diminishes the wandering effect needed on today's faster roads.
- The 185 R 15 Michelin XVS would be another excellent option for the Plus 8.
- For these tyres we recommend the Michelin 15F Offset Valve inner tube.
- It is possible to fit wider tyres in the 205/70-15. In this size we would suggest the 205/70 R 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN12.
- Fitting wider tyres however can have a derogatory effect on the handling and steering. The 205/70 R 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO CN12 will minimise those effects, nevertheless, we would still not recommend this overfitting a tyre of the correct size.
History of the Morgan Plus 8
Maurice Owen, a race car engineer hired especially for the task, directed the creation of the famous Plus 8 Morgan. The Morgan Plus 8 prototype was built on a modified version of the legendary Plus 4 chassis, to which the Rover alloy block V8 bought from GM-Buick in 1967 was fitted. The Moss gearbox from the Plus 4 was retained, and the Salisbury 7HA axle was upgraded with a limited-slip differential.
The chassis was built in phases to allow gearbox upgrades in 1973 and 1976, the body was broadened in 1976 to fit the enlarged chassis, and the wings were widened to accept larger tyres to manage the increasing power and trend for wider and lower profile tyres. The first Plus 8 was 57 inches wide, while the last one was 64 inches (with an optional "widebody" at 67 inches). The Plus Eight was the quickest accelerating UK production automobile for several years in the 1960s.
To mark the 35th year of production of its Plus 8, MMC released a commemorative 'Anniversary Edition'.
Borrani Wire Wheels
Borrani wheels are available for your Morgan Plus 8. As agents for the iconic Ruote Borrani Milano company we are able to supply all wheels from their extensive range.
Wire wheels made by Ruote Borrani Milano are, without doubt, the best wire wheels available. Borrani wheels utilise aluminium rims, steel spokes and steel wheel centres.
If your Borrani wheels require rebuilding then please contact us at [email protected]
Click the link for Morgan Plus 8 Borrani wheels.
Wheels made by Borrani are available in the following styles:
- Painted silver finish, as per the racing wheels of the period
- Polished and chrome finish, highly polished rim, chrome spokes & wheel centre
- Painted finish with polished outer edge